The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Totally blew one lastnight

Freshman Girls game, team A takes a shot and misses. Rebound is straight up and both A1 and B1 go up for the rebound, B1 get the rebound and throws it out to the wing to start a fastbreak. As A1 and B1 come down to the ground A1 falls to the ground grabs her knee and starts to scream like no other. I was in lead for the rebound and I hesitate in leaving the back court. Girl is still screaming. Not knowing what the deal is I blow it dead during the fast break.

After thinking about it and looking back I should have let it go and blown it dead after the fastbreak shot. Coach B goes crazy, team b's fans go crazy. I feel like I am totally in a catch 22 here. If I don't kill it coach A i mad because I didn't and his girl is on the floor screaming.

Not to self let the fastbreak finish.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 02:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're right, you could have waited til the fast break was over (shot or no shot).

Coach B should get a grip.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 02:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Yeah, you could have let them finish their break, but if that's the worst mistake you made that night, consider it a good game. To err on the side of caution taking care of the players is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 02:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Safety is always first. When you can, absolutely let the fast break play out. B coach should just chill.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I was working an intramural game, had a compound fracture, opposing team was going for a lay-in at about the division line when I blew it dead to go have someone call 911. I didn't feel too bad about it, but could have I waited the couple seconds for the lay-in to be completed and the player have been no worse off? Probably.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 02:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If I see a compound fracture, I'm not waiting either. I'd rather explain why I killed a fast break than explain why I waited with a compound fracture.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 03:52pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Compound fracture=quick stoppage of play. Girl holding her knee and screaming like a banshee=probably a quick stoppage of play. Why did I say probably? I've seen enough knees come completely out of joint in the past, in softball and football, to make myself vomit after seeing them. One was so bad the top of the bottom bones were above the bottom of the top bone (I'm not an anatomist so I don't know the freaking names!).
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Just another judgement call you have to make. I side with caution and safety. If a player is screaming, I don't care where the ball is, it's going to be dead.

Much different situation than when a player goes down, gets up, and limps down the court. That situation, I would wait till the fastbreak ends.

If coach B has an issue with stopping the play, I'd just remind him that if that were his player on the floor, I guarantee he'd want the same thing done. And you know he would too...........
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

in this type of case if the play is completly an easy fast break and the injured player is by herself, I have once beckoned the coach and his staff to come on the court. Once the layup was made/missed/or half court offense set I blew my whistle. But the difference between the coach and his staff hitting the floor to whistle blow was about 1-2 seconds. I didnt want to take away an easy score nor did i want a player in apparent agonizing pain to have to suffer 1 more second especially when all action was 50 feet away.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 05:41pm
Esteemed Participant

Did you T the coach for going crazy??? Not really a totally serious question there, but it's ridiculous that a coach goes that nuts in a freshman game when the player's health is the main factor. If she's screaming - she's hurt bad enough to stop the play immediately.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 10:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official_Iowa View Post
Freshman Girls game, team A takes a shot and misses. Rebound is straight up and both A1 and B1 go up for the rebound, B1 get the rebound and throws it out to the wing to start a fastbreak. As A1 and B1 come down to the ground A1 falls to the ground grabs her knee and starts to scream like no other. I was in lead for the rebound and I hesitate in leaving the back court. Girl is still screaming. Not knowing what the deal is I blow it dead during the fast break.

After thinking about it and looking back I should have let it go and blown it dead after the fastbreak shot. Coach B goes crazy, team b's fans go crazy. I feel like I am totally in a catch 22 here. If I don't kill it coach A i mad because I didn't and his girl is on the floor screaming.

Not to self let the fastbreak finish.
A good time to tell Coach B to find some sportsmanship before he's on the wrong side of a technical foul.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2009, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

No brainer

There should be no question that you stop the play, right then, right there, if a player appears to be in agony; to do otherwise is callous in the extreme.

And why does it matter if it's a fast break? What if a plodding team with deliberate offense was setting up a play that usually works -- how is that different from a fast break?

Somehow I think if a 14 year old girl appears to be in pain, she's not faking it to stop a fast break.

Sheesh.