Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 06:54pm
In Time Out

socks(2)

First sock thread- Socks?
like how it got into free speech there.

So to clarify we just let players where whatever socks they want. They can't go above the knee though. I had a frosh player and he was wearing a long black sock along with a yellow one. Kind of weird. legal though? Also, logos are fine too?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Socks(2)
Yes, that's generally how they come and are worn.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
First sock thread- Socks?
like how it got into free speech there.

So to clarify we just let players where whatever socks they want. They can't go above the knee though. I had a frosh player and he was wearing a long black sock along with a yellow one. Kind of weird. legal though? Also, logos are fine too?
Um, nothing in the rules indicates that socks cannot be above the knee. In fact, socks are not mentioned in the Rules Book EXCEPT for:

Rule2 Officials and Their Duties
SECTION 1 GAME AND TABLE OFFICIALS
ART. 1 . . . The official' uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black
pants, entirely black shoes and black socks.

You will not see socks mentioned.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 08:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Socks ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
In fact, socks are not mentioned in the Rule Book. Except for Rule2, Officials and Their Duties, you will not see socks mentioned.
Mentioned only once in the Casebook:

3.6.1 SITUATION: A6 enters the game with an excessive manufacturer’s or school’s logo on his/her: (a) socks; or (b) wristbands. RULING: Legal in (a). In (b), A6 may not participate and is directed to return to the bench until legally equipped. COMMENT: The restriction on visible manufacturer’s or school’s logo size is in effect on pants/skirts, compression shorts, wristbands and headbands. The shoes and socks are not considered part of the uniform for purpose of visible logo size.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 08:08pm.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Um, nothing in the rules indicates that socks cannot be above the knee. In fact, socks are not mentioned in the Rules Book EXCEPT for:

Rule2 Officials and Their Duties
SECTION 1 GAME AND TABLE OFFICIALS
ART. 1 . . . The official' uniform shall be a black-and-white striped shirt, black
pants, entirely black shoes and black socks.

You will not see socks mentioned.
Why do I feel its bad Karma to bring up this topic? Though its probably inevitable that we fashion police will have to deal w/this in the near future...
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

3.6.1 SITUATION: A6 enters the game with an excessive manufacturer’s or school’s logo on his/her: (a) socks; or (b) wristbands. RULING: Legal in (a). In (b), A6 may not participate and is directed to return to the bench until legally equipped. COMMENT: The restriction on visible manufacturer’s or school’s logo size is in effect on pants/skirts, compression shorts, wristbands and headbands. The shoes and socks are not considered part of the uniform for purpose of visible logo size.
Looks like TWICE to me.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Wait for it .............. those long socks are similar to the arm sleeves. If we continue seeing the weird long socks over the knees and I have had several games with them - I'm sure we will be seeing a new rule or clarification regarding them
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Wait for it .............. those long socks are similar to the arm sleeves. If we continue seeing the weird long socks over the knees and I have had several games with them - I'm sure we will be seeing a new rule or clarification regarding them
I don't know about that. Socks have to be worn and have a legitimate purpose. Arm sleeves, however....
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Not in NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

In NCAA socks are specifically mentioned in regards to manufacturers logos! It is in Rule 3 Art 6 Section 1.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
In NCAA socks are specifically mentioned in regards to manufacturers logos! It is in Rule 3 Art 6 Section 1.
Yep, they sure are......
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 07:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sock Police ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Why do I feel its bad Karma to bring up this topic? Though its probably inevitable that we fashion police will have to deal w/this in the near future...
You're right. Let's all just quietly back away from this thread and maybe Ms. Struckoff won't notice.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)