The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 01:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Pre-wrap and green, err, black

Last night I showed up for a varsity girls game. I noticed during the JV game that both teams had illegal colors of pre-wrap. I sighed. Personally, I'd rather ignore it, but I just can't.

So, when the teams came out, I decided to handle it early. I walked across and talked to the home coach and told him that red prewrap couldn't be worn with white uniforms. Of course I was the first official to enforce that this year. I told him I couldn't control others, but I am giving him plenty of time to fix it. I then went to the other coach and told her what I had been talking about with the other coach and told her to make sure all the kids were wearing black (which was the color of their uniforms, too).

In the end, the visiting team gave the coach a beige roll of prewrap and that's what the kids wore. BTW, it looked worse than the red.

Before the game, the coach said he understood it was the rule and the playoffs were coming so they had to be in compliance and better now than then. So why did it take until their 7th or so home game?

Then we went the whole game with me wanting to say green (the town/team had green in the name and the trim of the uniforms was green). I think I was the only one who was annoyed I kept saying green instead of black, but I just couldn't shake it, alternating between green and black all night.

I don't know the final, but it was 42-13 after 3 quarters and my biggest goal for the night was to get in a good run, and I did. 8 fouls in the first half, 19 in the second.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

The headband rule is not liked by many. Honestly, I'm just as much to blame as the official that doesn't enforce it at all. All varsity contests I enforce it but non-varsity I slack some days. That is something I need to work on the final few weeks, I need to consistently enforce it.

-Josh
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 01:37pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thankfully, I haven't had much trouble with this since the first few weeks of the season. I think it's getting better. Yes?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

The Head band rule for pre-wrap when used as a hair control devise.

I thought the Head Band rule only applied the bands the go completely around the head and a hair control devises did not fall under that rule.

From PIAA

PRE-WRAP AS A HAIR CONTROL DEVICE:

We have received many questions regarding the use of pro-wrap as a hair control device.

This type of material seems to be trendy, yet suitable for this type of use. However, they are some items to consider. If knots are tied in a series, or sequence, for decorative purposes, this type of hair control device is not legal. If the only knot used is to secure the pre-wrap to the head and is inconspicuous and/or located under the hair to cause no danger to the opponent, it is legal equipment.

The headband must be worn on the forehead and must be a maximum of 2 inches. If girls are wearing rubber bands to hold up their hair and they wear it across the forehead, it must meet the same requirements as a headband. It must be soft material, a single color, either white or the color of the torso of the jersey, unadorned except for a logo, manufacturer’s or school’s and up to a maximum of 2 inches. If it is multicolored, it cannot be on the forehead. It must be pushed back off the forehead to hold down the hair.

SITUATION #4: A player on Team B is wearing a multicolored rubber band or “scrunchie” to control her hair. She also has on a beige headband that goes around the entire head and meets all the requirements.

RULING: Legal. As long as other members of the team are wearing a beige headband if they are wearing one.

COMMENT: Hair control items may be multicolored. Beige is an acceptable color for the headband which goes around the entire head.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Many coaches will make the claim that you're the first to enforce it. I highly doubt that is the case though.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I always get looked at like I have three eyes when I enforce uniform rules, especially the headband rule. They all act like no one else has enforced it. Maybe they haven't, I don't know.

Does anyone else get looks of disbelief for certain rules being enforced? I gave a delay of game warning last Saturday in a BJV game for water on the court after a timeout. The coach kind of laughed like he thought I was joking. The table crew also looked at me like I was nuts. I didn't expect them to know the rule, but the coach is a different story.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 02:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown View Post

I thought the Head Band rule only applied the bands the go completely around the head and a hair control devises did not fall under that rule.

From PIAA

PRE-WRAP AS A HAIR CONTROL DEVICE:

We have received many questions regarding the use of pro-wrap as a hair control device.

This type of material seems to be trendy, yet suitable for this type of use. However, they are some items to consider. If knots are tied in a series, or sequence, for decorative purposes, this type of hair control device is not legal. If the only knot used is to secure the pre-wrap to the head and is inconspicuous and/or located under the hair to cause no danger to the opponent, it is legal equipment.

The headband must be worn on the forehead and must be a maximum of 2 inches. If girls are wearing rubber bands to hold up their hair and they wear it across the forehead, it must meet the same requirements as a headband. It must be soft material, a single color, either white or the color of the torso of the jersey, unadorned except for a logo, manufacturer’s or school’s and up to a maximum of 2 inches. If it is multicolored, it cannot be on the forehead. It must be pushed back off the forehead to hold down the hair.

SITUATION #4: A player on Team B is wearing a multicolored rubber band or “scrunchie” to control her hair. She also has on a beige headband that goes around the entire head and meets all the requirements.

RULING: Legal. As long as other members of the team are wearing a beige headband if they are wearing one.

COMMENT: Hair control items may be multicolored. Beige is an acceptable color for the headband which goes around the entire head.
Umm, they were using the prewrap as a headband. Not sure where you thought they weren't. Don't care what they use as mere hair control devices (or ponytails as we called them).
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown View Post

that's correct. So, if the player takes a small piece of pre-wrap and ties it around the pony tail (there's nothing "inside" the loop formed except hair), then it's a "hair control device" and can be any color.

Most of the time, though, the player takes a longer piece of prewrap and wraps it from the forehead, across the temples, under the pony tail to the nape of the neck (there is "skull" "inside" the loop). This is a headband and must meet the color requirements.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 03:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
that's correct. So, if the player takes a small piece of pre-wrap and ties it around the pony tail (there's nothing "inside" the loop formed except hair), then it's a "hair control device" and can be any color.

Most of the time, though, the player takes a longer piece of prewrap and wraps it from the forehead, across the temples, under the pony tail to the nape of the neck (there is "skull" "inside" the loop). This is a headband and must meet the color requirements.
I also found it somewhat ironic that the red looked much nicer than the beige they switched to. I'm not a fashion consultant, though, just the fashion police.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Had the ol' pre-wrap issue tonight. Neither team had a legal color. Both teams said it was the first time....We told them rules are rules..."We don't have any other color.."

Both came back out of the lockerroom legal colors.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Even better: tonight I was working GJV. Had the home team earlier in the season, and when they came out wearing the pink pre-wrap, I told them it would have to come off. Well tonight, the visiting team comes out wearing pink pre-wrap, which NC just made legal due to the death of Kay Yow. Home coach asks me if I'm going to make them change. I say nope. Coach looks at me like I have five eyes, so I explain to him the change.

Anyways, I guess the fashion police laws are changing.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Last night I showed up for a varsity girls game. I noticed during the JV game that both teams had illegal colors of pre-wrap. I sighed. Personally, I'd rather ignore it, but I just can't.

So, when the teams came out, I decided to handle it early. I walked across and talked to the home coach and told him that red prewrap couldn't be worn with white uniforms. Of course I was the first official to enforce that this year. I told him I couldn't control others, but I am giving him plenty of time to fix it. I then went to the other coach and told her what I had been talking about with the other coach and told her to make sure all the kids were wearing black (which was the color of their uniforms, too).

In the end, the visiting team gave the coach a beige roll of prewrap and that's what the kids wore. BTW, it looked worse than the red.

Before the game, the coach said he understood it was the rule and the playoffs were coming so they had to be in compliance and better now than then. So why did it take until their 7th or so home game?

Home team colors are purple and gold but they are wearing white jerseys. This is JV so when I see purple prewrap, I mention it to the coach who then says, everyone else said it was alright since it's one of the school colors.

I notice the varsity team is the same. I say something to varsity guys during halftime. Yep, everyone else is saying it's alright if it's one of the team colors. I remind them the rule says "predominant color of jersey". They tell me I'm the only one to go letter of the rule.

OOOOKKKK.

Rita
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Home team colors are purple and gold but they are wearing white jerseys. This is JV so when I see purple prewrap, I mention it to the coach who then says, everyone else said it was alright since it's one of the school colors.

I notice the varsity team is the same. I say something to varsity guys during halftime. Yep, everyone else is saying it's alright if it's one of the team colors. I remind them the rule says "predominant color of jersey". They tell me I'm the only one to go letter of the rule.

OOOOKKKK.

Rita
Had this tonight. Home team had on their white jerseys but some had blue headbands on because one of their colors is blue. Sorry, had to come off.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

Then we went the whole game with me wanting to say green (the town/team had green in the name and the trim of the uniforms was green). I think I was the only one who was annoyed I kept saying green instead of black, but I just couldn't shake it, alternating between green and black all night.

I don't know the final, but it was 42-13 after 3 quarters and my biggest goal for the night was to get in a good run, and I did. 8 fouls in the first half, 19 in the second.
Thanks for sharing, Rich. I had the same issue tonight. Girls in Black uniforms wearing grey/silver pre-wrap. We only have two weeks remaining in our regular season. Same thing from the coach about being the first official all year to say something about the color.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Our association covered this in some detail, and strongly encouraged everyone to enforce it. I haven't heard "you're the first to enforce that" except once at a middle school game.