The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Texas A&M vs Oklahoma

Watching Live, so maybe I didn't see correctly. Any one who did, please help.

A1 drives to the basket, shoots and ball goes in. L makes call and points other direction (towards B) (No PC signal). Counts the basket and goes to the other end to shoot 1&1. HTBT, but A1 was airborne. I am sure I missed something. Please explain. I would understand this if A1 had come back to the floor, but it was obvious A1 was airborne. I am a ref and NOT a Fanboy.

Thanks in advance
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Off Ball Foul

Didn't see it, but sounds like an off-ball foul by another team A player during the shot. Non shooting foul, but in bonus ... thus a 1&1 at other end of the court.

Basket by A1 counts as well.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 09:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

In NCAA men, player control ends when the shot is released. Therefore, if an airborne shooter commits a charging foul after he releases the shot, it is not considered a PC foul. Free throws would be shot by the fouled player if the bonus is in effect.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see it, but here is my guess as to what happened.

Unlike the NFHS, the NCAA men's game does not have an airborne shooter rule. Player control ends when the ball leaves the shooter's hand on the try. Therefore if the foul occured after the ball was gone, it would result in the goal being counted and a 1+1 for the defense.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone, I thought it had to do with NCAA vs NF rules, but just did not know. Once again thank you to everyone, excpecially Snaqs, who always gets it right on.

Collins
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 10:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwv001 View Post
I didn't see it, but here is my guess as to what happened.

Unlike the NFHS, the NCAA men's game does not have an airborne shooter rule. Player control ends when the ball leaves the shooter's hand on the try. Therefore if the foul occured after the ball was gone, it would result in the goal being counted and a 1+1 for the defense.
This is close, but not quite accurate. There is an airborne shooter rule, but it's purpose is to protect the shooter. An airborne shooter may still get two shots if he's fouled prior to landing, but if he commits a foul it is not considered PC.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can You All Hear Barbra Streisand Singing In The Background ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In NCAA men, player control ends when the shot is released. Therefore, if an airborne shooter commits a charging foul after he releases the shot, it is not considered a PC foul. Free throws would be shot by the fouled player if the bonus is in effect.
We used to have this in NFHS rules many, many years ago. It was a call that seemed to please, or displease, both coaches equally. One team would get a charging foul, but would get to keep the basket if it went in. The other team would get to shot one and one if in the bonus. You could get complaints from both coaches in stereo, but often heard nothing from either bench.

I hope that I'm not the only one who remembers this? Jurassic Referee? Snaqwells? JRutledge? Scrapper1? BktBallRef? JugglingReferee? Mark Padgett? bob jenkins? I know that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. remembers this, and if it's not too cold in his attic, he'll tell us when the NFHS made the change. Or Nevadaref, our Forum old interpretations expert (old interpretations, not old official), might tell us from memory.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 01:09pm.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I hope that I'm not the only one who remembers this? Jurassic Referee? Snaqwells? JRutledge? Scrapper1? BktBallRef? JugglingReferee? Mark Padgett? bob jenkins? I know that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. remembers this, and if it's not too cold in his attic, he'll tell us when the NFHS made the change. Or Nevadaref, our Forum old interpretations expert (old interpretations, not old official), might tell us from memory.
I am not as old as you think and I was not officiating when the rule was like the current NCAA Rule at our level. I have no idea when the rule was changed. I did hear that the rule was the same; I just do not think that was the case when I was playing in the 80s.

Peace