The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Need NFHS Rule Reference

Situation: Free throw is to be administered after a time-out. As L, I verify all players are lined up correctly, communicate the number of shots, and bounce ball to free thrower. NO WHISTLE to resume play in this situation is my understanding.

If ball is taken out of bounds after a time-out, you WOULD blow whistle to resume play.

I have been looking for a rule reference in the officials manual stating when you do and do not have a whistle for resumption of play. Help???
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the reason you won't find that mentioned is because it isn't mentioned. Therefore, the correct mechanic in this case is to do what other officials in your area do.

The purpose of the whistle in these cases is to alert players that play is about to start again after a delay, whether it's a TO, injury, or other type of unusual delay. There are many that feel it becomes much more obvious in a FT situation that play is about to start when you announce the number of FT's and then bounce the ball to the shooter, so a whistle in that situation seems a little much. I know it is not done in my area, and it is not done at the NCAA level.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Blow your whistle!!

This situation is specifically addressed in Rule 8 Article 2 (page 53). One of my pet peves is when refs don't blow their whistle on FT after TOs.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
This situation is specifically addressed in Rule 8 Article 2 (page 53). One of my pet peves is when refs don't blow their whistle on FT after TOs.

I guess I'm missing something. Please show me where it says to blow your whistle.

8-2
The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury or disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no substitute is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the throw(s) as selected by the team captain or head coach.

I've never blown the whistle before a FT and also have never seen it done.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 01:09am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I guess I'm missing something. Please show me where it says to blow your whistle.
Apparently he was looking at 8-1-2, which deals with RPP.

"The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume...."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't imagine blowing a whistle at that point. I've never seen it done. Seems pointless to me.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I've seen it done, think it is awkward, and will only do it when I know I am in a situation/place where it is expected of me.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

The NFHS Officials Manual says to sound the whistle prior to resuming play following a time-out in 2.4.3 D(4) & 3.4.3 D(4) on pages 39 & 76 (2-man and 3-man references, respectively). It doesn't specify to do this only when resuming with a throw-in. We all know that there are three ways of making a dead ball live: jump ball, throw-in, and free throw. Therefore, I sound my whistle prior to putting the ball into play no matter how it will be resumed following a time-out. It doesn't seem to be a big deal to me to step into the lane and give a quick tweet of the whistle before saying how many throws will be attempted, but I know that not everyone does it that way. However, since you asked, I do and it is in the manual.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would do it if I wouldn't be the only one in my association doing it that way.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Everyone in my association blows the whistle prior to a FT, after a TO. And it is awkward. Some blow it before verbalizing and some blow it after verbalizing. Verbalizing being # of FT's to be attempted plus any other senseless ramblings they may want to include.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Everyone in my association blows the whistle prior to a FT, after a TO. And it is awkward. Some blow it before verbalizing and some blow it after verbalizing. Verbalizing being # of FT's to be attempted plus any other senseless ramblings they may want to include.
I must say I like it more now that I've reduced it even further. I used to say, "One, let it hit" or, "Two shots."

Now, I'm a numbers only guy. Much easier.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Whaa?
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 12:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Assuming you meant 8-1-2, I don't know about you, but I don't use RPP every time we have a free throw.

I did put the ball down for a throwin the other day in a JVG game, but they released the throwin at about 4.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Yep 8-1-2. Thumb got in the way...Sorry for the confusion. I was written up on this point in by a state evaluator in Tennessee and have taken it to heart.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 09:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yep 8-1-2. Thumb got in the way...Sorry for the confusion. I was written up on this point in by a state evaluator in Tennessee and have taken it to heart.
8-1-2 is resumption of play. If your state evaluator wants you to do it that way, fine. But 8-1-2 is not a valid reference to nail someone on this.