The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Help me out someone. I need a NFHS rule reference for what a thrower-in CAN do after a made hoop in terms of dribbling out of bounds. The JV official asked me prior to my Varsity game last night and I couldn't give it to him promptly. Would like to get back to him today but don't have my books with me at work. (BTW - He called a throw-in violation on her) I told him that I didn't think that was right...never call anything that you can't explain or back-up by rule.
Thanks!
Becky
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I think you'd have better luck trying to argue the point of why you can dribble than as to why you can't. Specifically, look at rule(s) 7.6.1 - 7.6.4.

For that matter, I don't see why it's a problem to let a player dribble on a spot throw in--so long as they don't stray from the spot. Where's the advantage/disadvantage in this???

The only argument I could see being made is rule 7.6.1 says "...The thrower shall release the ball on a pass directly into the court....The throw-in pass shall touch another player...on the court before going out of bounds untouched." I guess you could argue the dribble was in fact a "pass," and it never made it inbounds before it touched another player

Like the old proverb says: "If the rules don't say you can't do it, then go ahead and do it."

Well, at least that's my proverb, anyway.....
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rule book with me here at work so I can't quote you chapter and verse. I do believe that the dribble restrictions are not in effect during a throw in. It's the same as the traveling rule not in effect during a throw in. I could be wrong and if I am, I'll certainly hear about it.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

As another ref often says, "you can even dance a jig." After a made basket (or free throw), the out-of-bounds inbounder can dribble, stand on their head, pass to a teammate who is also out-of bounds, sing a song, lay down..well, you get the idea.

Z
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Basketball Rules Fundamentals #5

it can be found on pg 5 of your NFHS 2001-2003 Officials Manual or page 74 of your NFHS 2001-2001 Rules book.

"Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in, or free throw."
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
As another ref often says, "you can even dance a jig." After a made basket (or free throw), the out-of-bounds inbounder can dribble, stand on their head, pass to a teammate who is also out-of bounds, sing a song, lay down..well, you get the idea.

Z
With the exception of passing to the OOB teammate, the thrower-in can do all of these things (as long as he/she remains within the 3' wide strip).
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
Like the old proverb says: "If the rules don't say you can't do it, then go ahead and do it."
Quote:
Originally posted by 112448
Basketball Rules Fundamentals #5

"Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in, or free throw."
Here stands my contrapositive to the above:

"If the rules say you can do it, do it!"

Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
Funny you should mention that... I was doing a sixth-grade boys game this weekend, and the young man defending the inbound pass really DID dance a jig.

I'm sure I'll fail to describe this well, but.... He had been raising one arm, lowering the other, then alternating. This appeared to amuse him so much that he started raising his foot on the same side as the raised arm (and, of course, alternating feet). This was so much fun that he began to add a little hop with the other foot.

I know what some of you will say - taunting... whack! But really, you had to see this kid's face. He had this big goofy grin - I don't think he was even looking at the inbounder once he got going. If you ever saw the movie "Billy Madison," imagine him defending an inbound pass....
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeT
I'm sure I'll fail to describe this well, but.... He had been raising one arm, lowering the other, then alternating. This appeared to amuse him so much that he started raising his foot on the same side as the raised arm (and, of course, alternating feet). This was so much fun that he began to add a little hop with the other foot.

I know what some of you will say - taunting... whack! But really, you had to see this kid's face. He had this big goofy grin - I don't think he was even looking at the inbounder once he got going. If you ever saw the movie "Billy Madison," imagine him defending an inbound pass....
Totally off the subject...

Reminds me of a soccer game I saw (young kids), where two players were standing at midfield talking about whose house they were going to stay overnight at, while the ball came whizzing past with no defense at all. Easy shot and goal, and these kids never even noticed.