The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Made a call last night - BC V

TI by div line - A passes to teammate who jumped from FC - caught ball - landed in BC - I whistle for BCV - correct call?

I'm not sure when reading this from the case book.

9.9.1 SITUATION D: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. A1's
throw-in is deflected by B1; A2 jumps from Team A’s frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. The throw-in ends when it is legally touched by B1. A2 gains player and team control in the air after having left the floor from Team A’s frontcourt, therefore having frontcourt status. As soon as A2 lands in the backcourt, he/she has committed a back court violation. The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in
ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You've got the case book, now open the rule book (same number as the case play) and you'll discover that this is not a violation. There is an exception for a player who catches the ball during a throwin, a jump ball, or while on defense.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

In the case book play, if A2 were to tap the ball into the backcourt and then go chase it down (rather than catch it while in the air), would there be a BC violation?

I think the rule book would say no since there has not been team control in the FC.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh View Post
In the case book play, if A2 were to tap the ball into the backcourt and then go chase it down (rather than catch it while in the air), would there be a BC violation?

I think the rule book would say no since there has not been team control in the FC.
You would be correct in your thinking.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh View Post

But that's not why the OP is not a violation. TC is established in the FC when the ball is caught. The exception, however, is what allows this.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Got it Snaq! Thanks

ART. 3 . . . A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a
jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of
the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in
the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference
whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 03:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Now you own it.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Ball was not tipped by B

In the OP sit. the throw-in was not tipped by B...so no BC by A.
This exact play was recently highlighted on the website 60 Seconds on Officiating. http://www.ref.60.com/
Referencing NFHS 4-4; 4-13; 7.6.2 and 9.9 they do a short review on Throw-ins and the Division Line:

"It is critical to remember 2 key components of a throw in:
1.There is no team control during a throw-in.
2.A throw-in ends when the ball is released and legally touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds).
This means that during a throw-in, any player may catch the ball in mid-air and land in his/her backcourt without committing a backcourt violation. However, if the released ball is deflected by any player, the deflection would end the throw-in and any mid-air catch by any player and backcourt landing would be a violation, if the player leaped from his/her frontcourt."