The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

backcourt explination

Last night on our game we had a classic front court inbounds play where the player tips it in the front court to the back court never having gained possession and then goes retrieves it in the back court. Coach yells for a BC violation and I try to explain that possesion had never been established in the front court yet. He said that the rule didn't use to be that way. I had nothing to tell him. I am pretty new, did the rule change in the last few years? And does anyone know of a link to a thread or a better explanation than what I gave. I don't have my rule book on me either, so if someone knows the reference.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

He probably had it called on him once, incorrectly.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Last night on our game we had a classic front court inbounds play where the player tips it in the front court to the back court never having gained possession and then goes retrieves it in the back court. Coach yells for a BC violation and I try to explain that possesion had never been established in the front court yet. He said that the rule didn't use to be that way. I had nothing to tell him. I am pretty new, did the rule change in the last few years? And does anyone know of a link to a thread or a better explanation than what I gave. I don't have my rule book on me either, so if someone knows the reference.
Many coaches get the NBA, College and NFHS rules confused. They see it on TV and assume all basketball rules are the same.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 02:34pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb try this

http://forum.officiating.com/search.php?searchid=176347
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I had FIVE BC violations last night, each one different. I get to the gym to work a VG/VB doubleheader. The JVBoys are playing but with a 2 man crew as the third official got the date wrong. So I dress and hit the court with about 2 mins. rem in the 1st, an easy $45. Anyway...

JVBoys
#1, Ball is passed to the FC. A1 catches the pass, turns and throws to A2 who leaps from the BC, catches the ball and lands in the FC. C has no idea it was a violation. had to explain it later.

VGirls
#2, A1 under pressure in FC, throws it to A2. Ball hits A2 on the top of the head and bounces into the BC. Mad race by A2, B1 and B2. A2 wins the race but gets the violation.

VBoys
#3, dribbler being pressured in the FC, steps on the division line.

#4, Bad pass by A1 in the FC. A2 leaps from the FC, bats the ball that's so far untouched in the BC. Ball bounces once in the BC before A3 catches the ball while standing in the FC. Had to explain to C that A3 was first to touch the ball AFTER it had been in the BC.

#5, A1 under pressure in the BC, passes to A2 who leaps from the FC, catches pass, and lands in the BC. A fan for the opposing team shook his head and told me I got it wrong, that the ball was never in the FC. During a To, I asked why he thought I got it wrong. He said that all three points were never in the FC. Now, he knows better.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

#5, A1 under pressure in the BC, passes to A2 who leaps from the FC, catches pass, and lands in the BC. A fan for the opposing team shook his head and told me I got it wrong, that the ball was never in the FC. During a To, I asked why he thought I got it wrong. He said that all three points were never in the FC. Now, he knows better.
I had this same play in a boys 8th grade game a few weeks ago. The team's coach who violated couldn't believe that it was a BC violation and kept telling me so. I begged to differ. That's why he's not an official.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 03:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I had this same play in a boys 8th grade game a few weeks ago. The team's coach who violated couldn't believe that it was a BC violation and kept telling me so. I begged to differ. That's why he's not an official.
I hope you didn't let him keep telling you so for long.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I hope you didn't let him keep telling you so for long.
No, he's actually pretty good to get along with. He didn't stay after it during the game for very long. It was during a tournament and he's the coach of the home team, so I talked to him about it later after the game.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 04:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I had FIVE BC violations last night, each one different. I get to the gym to work a VG/VB doubleheader. The JVBoys are playing but with a 2 man crew as the third official got the date wrong. So I dress and hit the court with about 2 mins. rem in the 1st, an easy $45. Anyway...

JVBoys
#1, Ball is passed to the FC. A1 catches the pass, turns and throws to A2 who leaps from the BC, catches the ball and lands in the FC. C has no idea it was a violation. had to explain it later.

VGirls
#2, A1 under pressure in FC, throws it to A2. Ball hits A2 on the top of the head and bounces into the BC. Mad race by A2, B1 and B2. A2 wins the race but gets the violation.

VBoys
#3, dribbler being pressured in the FC, steps on the division line.

#4, Bad pass by A1 in the FC. A2 leaps from the FC, bats the ball that's so far untouched in the BC. Ball bounces once in the BC before A3 catches the ball while standing in the FC. Had to explain to C that A3 was first to touch the ball AFTER it had been in the BC.

Sounds like your entire quiz.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 04:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
No need to beg coaches.