The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

A1 brings the ball into the frontcourt halfway between the top of the key and midcourt. A1 picks up his dribble and is trapped. A2,(who threw the ball in) is still in the back court. A1 throws the ball to A2. A2,while in midair and still in the backcourt,catches the ball and lands in the frontcourt.Is this backcourt?
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Yes...and this situation is addressed in the case book.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by dsimp8
A1 brings the ball into the frontcourt halfway between the top of the key and midcourt. A1 picks up his dribble and is trapped. A2,(who threw the ball in) is still in the back court. A1 throws the ball to A2. A2,while in midair and still in the backcourt,catches the ball ...
...and the official blows the whistle for a backcourt violation. It doesn't matter where A2 lands (or even if he/she lands!)---the violation occurs when A2 touches the ball.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 brings the ball into the frontcourt halfway between the top of the key and midcourt. A1 picks up his dribble and is trapped. A2,(who threw the ball in) is still in the back court. A1 throws the ball to A2. A2,while in midair and still in the backcourt,catches the ball and lands in the frontcourt.Is this backcourt?
A saying I have often heard in regards to an airborne player is "you are where you were."

So A2 WAS in backcourt and his status is STILL considered in backcourt until he lands. So when he catches the ball, he is in B/C and causes a violation.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Nov 18th, 2005 at 05:36 PM]
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. I called this last night and the coach of the team I called it on kicked his chair halfway down the bench. He got a T -don't worry.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure his wrath was simply directed at his player, not at you....right?
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buckrog64
Uhh...no. He's a young coach (maybe 22) coaching at a private school. He really doesn't know the rules. I knew we were in for a long game with him whe he started yelling "3 seconds! 3 seconds!" when the ball was being tipped around the rim a few times in a row. Whenever we would make a call against his team,you would have thought it was the end of the world. He said one time,"Can I not get a call in my own gym?"
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Uhh...no. He's a young coach (maybe 22) coaching at a private school. He really doesn't know the rules. I knew we were in for a long game with him whe he started yelling "3 seconds! 3 seconds!" when the ball was being tipped around the rim a few times in a row. Whenever we would make a call against his team,you would have thought it was the end of the world. He said one time,"Can I not get a call in my own gym?"
All this in one game? the 3 seconds yelling? The throwing the chair? The "can't I get a call"? I hope you tossed him!!
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I didn't toss him. They were getting killed (final was 65-19) so I din't want to add insult to injury. I came very close thought but,during a TO,his athletic director came over to him and gave him a VERY stern talking to. I didn't have any more problems out of him the rest of the game. Granted that was with 5 minutes left but it did seem like his AD got his point across to him.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
This guy needs to be schooled in the art of coaching.

His first assignment is to write "I am not Bobby Knight" 1000 times on the blackboard.

He could have done this while you finished the game after you tossed him.

You did toss him, right?

==================
edit

Just read your reply to Juulie.

You should have tossed him. No need to put up with crap like that. Ever.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Nov 21st, 2005 at 11:48 AM]
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

A 22 year old coach is probably not to far removed from playing. I bet he was a joy to officiate.

Good for the AD and I bet that wasn't the end of that conversation.