The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional Foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51092-intentional-foul.html)

Spence Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:49pm

Intentional Foul?

Late game fouling situation. A1 reaches for B1 as he's going by and grabs his jersey from behind. I call intentional foul. Coach didn't have a big problem with it but said "he fouled him before that."

That got me to thinking. If I had called a foul for , say, a whack on the arm and then the defender subsequently grabbed and yanked the jersey from behind, is it still an intentional foul?

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 570852)
Late game fouling situation. A1 reaches for B1 as he's going by and grabs his jersey from behind. I call intentional foul. Coach didn't have a big problem with it but said "he fouled him before that."

That got me to thinking. If I had called a foul for , say, a whack on the arm and then the defender subsequently grabbed and yanked the jersey from behind, is it still an intentional foul?

I generally wouldn't have an INT for that subsequent grab, but I would tell A1 "nothing after the fact". But if A1 went down to the ground, I would upgrade the first foul to an INT, and only report that one. I would not have a common foul and a dead ball INT. Edit: I guess clarification is needed for some: it is highly likely not going to be two fouls here.

mbyron Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:59pm

The implied question here seems to be: should this be a make-up call?

If you correctly passed on the initial contact, then there's nothing to make up.

If you missed a foul before, but you had a genuine intentional foul, call the IF.

That said, merely grabbing the shirt is not necessarily an intentional foul. The crucial (relevant) concept is neutralizing an opponent's obvious advantage.

And make-up calls are always a bad idea. Two wrongs...

TrojanHorse Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:00pm

I had a game saturday when I wanted a Intentional called. My guard went by the defender and he reached out and grabbed the back of his jersey. The explanation I got was that its late in the game and he was just trying to foul. I left it at that. Oh well..we hit the two free throws went up 5 and won.

wbrown Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:00pm

By the book you would have a technical foul.
Rule 4.19.5 . . . A technical foul is:
(c) An intentional or flagrant foul while the ball is dead, except a foul by an airborne shooter.

I don't think he would have grab his shirt had the first foul been called.

Scratch85 Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 570855)
I wouldn't have an INT for that subsequent grab, but I would tell A1 "nothing after the fact".

I would pass on the subsequent action also.

However, 4-19-1 Note addresses intentional and flagrant fouls after the ball has become dead. If you desire to call an intentional foul, by rule I believe it would be an intentional technical foul.

Adam Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 570860)
I would pass on the subsequent action also.

However, 4-19-1 Note addresses intentional and flagrant fouls after the ball has become dead. If you desire to call an intentional foul, by rule I believe it would be an intentional technical foul.

Not if you didn't call the first one.

deecee Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbrown (Post 570858)
By the book you would have a technical foul.
Rule 4.19.5 . . . A technical foul is:
(c) An intentional or flagrant foul while the ball is dead, except a foul by an airborne shooter.

I don't think he would have grab his shirt had the first foul been called.

You would not have a technical foul here as you are read the rule wrong. A contact foul during a live ball will not be technical.

By the book you have an intentional (if anything).

Scratch85 Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:04pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 570861)

Agreed. My response was to the part with the ? after it in the OP.

JugglingReferee Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 570861)

Exactly.

wbrown Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:05pm

The orignal post asked if he had call a contact foul followed by an intentional grab of the jersey (intentional foul). The second foul would be a dead ball intentional foul which would result in a Technical foul.

Spence Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 570856)
The implied question here seems to be: should this be a make-up call?

If you correctly passed on the initial contact, then there's nothing to make up.

If you missed a foul before, but you had a genuine intentional foul, call the IF.

That said, merely grabbing the shirt is not necessarily an intentional foul. The crucial (relevant) concept is neutralizing an opponent's obvious advantage.

And make-up calls are always a bad idea. Two wrongs...

Nothing implied. Not looking to make up any call.

Does the subsequent action warrant an intentional foul?

Ch1town Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 570862)
You would not have a technical foul here as you are read the rule wrong. A contact foul during a live ball will not be technical.

By the book you have an intentional (if anything).

Quote:

If I had called a foul for , say, a whack on the arm (Tweet - DEAD BALL)
and then the defender subsequently grabbed and yanked the jersey from behind, is it still an intentional foul?

Dead ball contact should be ignored unless it is flagrant or intentional.

wbrown got it right, well except for the (.) instead of (-) for rules references :D

Spence Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:15pm

Let me add some minor clarifications to my scenario.

Defender is trying to foul. With left hand he tries for a steal but whacks the kid across the arm. At almost the same time and in order to ensure he fouls the kid he uses his other arm to grab the jersey and yanks it - obvious intentional. I'm blowing the whistle for the first foul while the grab is taking place. No delay.

Do I ignore the intentional and only call the arm grab?

deecee Wed Jan 21, 2009 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 570870)
Let me add some minor clarifications to my scenario.

Defender is trying to foul. With left hand he tries for a steal but whacks the kid across the arm. At almost the same time and in order to ensure he fouls the kid he uses his other arm to grab the jersey and yanks it - obvious intentional. I'm blowing the whistle for the first foul while the grab is taking place. No delay.

Do I ignore the intentional and only call the arm grab?

Yes ignore the grab -- just say something to the kid along the lines of "make a play for the basketball" or something like that.