The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

5.10.1 Sit E

This case play tells us what we can do in this type of situation, but what should you do?

Team B is down by four points with time expiring in the fourth quarter. B1 scores a goal with 4.9 seconds left on the clock and Team B is now down by two points.

A1 has the ball at his disposal for a throw-in on the end line when the timer mistakenly stops the clock.

You notice the stoppage of the clock immediately.

Do you:
a) Blow your whistle immediately and inform the timer that the clock must run; then put the ball in play with the clock to start upon the inbounding of the ball
b) Wait two seconds to see if the timer will start the clock; he doesn’t, so you blow your whistle and reset the clock to 2 seconds, with the clock to start upon the inbounding of the ball
c) Use your visual count to count down 4 seconds on the clock and then blow your whistle to indicate the game is over

Scenarios A and B give an advantage to team B by stopping the clock and forcing Team A to inbound the ball, thereby allowing a chance at a steal and layup.

Scenario C opens up the possibility that, a few seconds into your count, Team B players and coaches are going to wonder what the heck is going on and stand around and demand something be done about it. When you blow your whistle and end the game, you’ve opened up a hornet’s nest.

What do you think?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 06:33pm
Eschew obfuscation.

If I catch it right away, I'm going to blow it dead, go to the table and expain to the clock operator that the clock should roll at the sound of my next whistle. Then explain to the coaches what is going to happen after the clock operator knows what is going on.

If I have a count going, and then I notice it... I know that you can use your count to correct the time on the scoreboard. So whatever count I am at is what will be put on the game clock when I repeat what I said in the last situation.

If I have a five second count, I'm not going to kill the game at the lead's position. I would blow my whistle, call the coaches in and explain what happened. Then I would kill the game and get the heck out of there.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
If I catch it right away, I'm going to blow it dead, go to the table and expain to the clock operator that the clock should roll at the sound of my next whistle. Then explain to the coaches what is going to happen after the clock operator knows what is going on.
So you're comfortable giving Team B a distinct advantage?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 06:49pm
Eschew obfuscation.

What advantage are they gaining? Since there is 4.9 on the clock, realistically Team A doesn't have to inbound the ball since the clock will roll on my whistle. Unless we aren't allowed to do that per the rules. I'm not sure about that.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
What advantage are they gaining? Since there is 4.9 on the clock, realistically Team A doesn't have to inbound the ball since the clock will roll on my whistle. Unless we aren't allowed to do that per the rules. I'm not sure about that.
You're not allowed to do that. If you kill the play and correct the time, the clock doesn't restart until the ball is legally touched. That's the conundrum that the OP is presenting.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

I would blow the whistle and go to the table. After choking the operator to death I would make sure that the backup operator understood that this can't happen again....I would then call the coaches together and explain that while it is unfortunate for team A, there is nothing that we can do other than give them the ball with the freedom to run the endline with the clock starting on a legal touch.

The problem with waiting once you see it is that there are too many things that could go wrong...team A could panic and throw the ball away, you could end up with coach of team A on the court screaming about the clock, just way too much could happen to let something like this go once you have noticed it IMO...

To add a twist what if you had some reason to believe (no idea what the reason would be) that the home scorer stopped the clock to intentionally give team B an advantage? What are your options?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I'd go with choice C. I'm not going to give Team B an advantage for the clock operator's mistake.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think, as new trail continue your count and wait for things to explode. As new Lead, mark the time and wait for things to explode, As C, I probably don't even know the clock hasn't started.

When things explode, come together as a crew and determine what definite knowledge you have of the time remaining in the game. Go from there.

This has happened to me in a 2 whistle game. when I realized (as Trail) that the clock was not running and I had reached a count that exceeded the time left on the clock, I blew my whistle and called the game. It worked out.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I think, as new trail continue your count and wait for things to explode. As new Lead, mark the time and wait for things to explode, As C, I probably don't even know the clock hasn't started.

When things explode, come together as a crew and determine what definite knowledge you have of the time remaining in the game. Go from there.

This has happened to me in a 2 whistle game. when I realized (as Trail) that the clock was not running and I had reached a count that exceeded the time left on the clock, I blew my whistle and called the game. It worked out.

Lower level game I might do this, HS varsity no way I would do it...too much that could go wrong IMO...why invite potential trouble? Agree that it stinks for Team A, but not your fault that they stopped the clock...
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
Lower level game I might do this, HS varsity no way I would do it...too much that could go wrong IMO....
Like what? What could go wrong?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
too much that could go wrong
The ball is at the throwers disposal, the ball is live. All action continues. Timing errors happen and we have rules to apply to those errors. I would apply them.

After all, what could go wrong in 4.9 seconds. Hypothetical question, don't answer that. I full well know what can go wrong in 4.9 seconds.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
I am all for C, in 2-man I might look at the clock just before A prepares in inbound,Looking for B to call a time out, once A possess I am looking for the intentional foul that might stop the clock, and I am know at this point A doesn't have to inbound and I am listening for the horn, no horn I am looking to the Referee or myself I am him, go to the table, gather both coaches, explain the rules about my count, call the game final find my partner and get out of dodge, unless I am in the state of Mass Them is the rules...

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Personally, I'd go with choice C. I'm not going to give Team B an advantage for the clock operator's mistake.
I vote for method C as well, but how do you know that the timer stopped the clock as opposed to the device simply malfunctioning and froze the display at 4.9?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 06:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I vote for method C as well, but how do you know that the timer stopped the clock as opposed to the device simply malfunctioning and froze the display at 4.9?
One likely doesn't know. But (c) is still the best way to handle the sitch, imho.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 08:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I vote for C.