The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

It started pre-game

GV, I'm U2. R comes up to us after visiting with the table and says, "H Coach told me that V post players have a tendency to lift their pivot foot prior to blah blah blah."
Me: "You should have told him to save it for the coach's meeting."

I knew it was going to be fun. Coach chirps a bit, and U1 tells me he warned the coach early in the 2nd quarter. He seems to want an explanation for too much. After I call a PC on his dribbler, he wants to know how I can call that. I immediately tell him that she had position and was moving sideways and backwards at contact. He starts in about falling backwards, "Coach, no rule says she can't."

Half time is when it got fun, though. Coach wants to talk to us, so the R asks the V coach if he'll join us as she doesn't want to have the talk without everyone present.

H coach basically whines that he was told to "shut up" (not true) when the V coach gets to ask questions. R flatly tells him that we'll be happy to answer respectful questions.

2nd half, I call his player for a push on a layup shooter just after she gathered the ball and started her shooting motion, the basket goes in and I count it. I see coach has a question as I report it.

"How can that be good, there's no continuation in high school basektball."
Oh good G*d!

"Coach, she had started her shooting motion." I walked away. I should have known better than to let him ask.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:38am
Do not give a damn!!

This sounds like a football pre-game. I do not think I have heard too many times where a coach before the game is telling us about the actions of the other team.

Interesting to say the least.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I forgot to add the delicious part of the half time talk.

H coach wanted to know if we could go with 2 refs the rest of the game if it was okay with the V coach; obviously referring to U2 who had warned him to cut the chatter.

As the V coach was saying he'd rather not, R was saying it wasn't an option. I'm looking back wondering if I shouldn't have rung him up for this one.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 12:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

H coach wanted to know if we could go with 2 refs the rest of the game if it was okay with the V coach; obviously referring to U2 who had warned him to cut the chatter.

As the V coach was saying he'd rather not, R was saying it wasn't an option. I'm looking back wondering if I shouldn't have rung him up for this one.
Damn was this a football coach?

I have had football coaches ask for wings to switch, because they were not allowed to yell and scream about every play.

No, I would not ring him up for that one; just make sure that any other inappropriate comment was addressed with a T. Now the coach was just being disrespectful and unprofessional.

And what bothers me about this story, is this is an example that if you were to react in any way to that comment, you are considered unprofessional or taking their actions personally. But they are allowed to say anything and do anything and we are expected to just take it. The double standards are just unbelievable.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

You should have asked him if we could proceed with one fewer coach on the home bench for the 2nd half.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 02:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You should have asked him if we could proceed with one fewer coach on the home bench for the 2nd half.
I likely would've asked him that to see his reaction.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 04:09am
In Time Out

"there's no continuation in high school basketball"

was that something changed back in the day? I actually had a ref in my first year tell me that. I was like wtf are you talking about? He even was a good ref, albeit we only did a couple of games but it seemed he was on top of things. The strange thing was even though he said that repeatably he didn't follow it.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 04:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
"there's no continuation in high school basketball"

was that something changed back in the day? I actually had a ref in my first year tell me that. I was like wtf are you talking about? He even was a good ref, albeit we only did a couple of games but it seemed he was on top of things. The strange thing was even though he said that repeatably he didn't follow it.
Why do people have to use the word "continuation?" Either the shooting motion (which includes more than most officials think) started or it didn't.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

My recolection of continuation in the NBA, is that a player can be fouled before a shot is started, but is allowed to continue to see if they can score. This is a whole lot different that high school.
I would like to see that coaches reaction, if you had waved off one of his players shots, in the act of shooting and fouled, by saying that was a continuation of the shooting motion.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 07:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't think the NBA rule is much different, if at all, than the hs rule on shooting motion.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

I have seen plays in the NBA, when out on the perimeter a player was initiating a pass but fouled. they would chuck the ball towards the basket to see it they could get a shooting foul.

Or when a player is driving the basket but is fouled . he would continue to gather, take a step, and then slam the ball. The shot would count. this isn't a scored shot in HS.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I have seen plays in the NBA, when out on the perimeter a player was initiating a pass but fouled. they would chuck the ball towards the basket to see it they could get a shooting foul.

Or when a player is driving the basket but is fouled . he would continue to gather, take a step, and then slam the ball. The shot would count. this isn't a scored shot in HS.
I've never read the NBA rule, but several folks here have said the rule is no different. It may be applied differently, but that's a different issue.

All that said, if in a high school game a player is moving toward the goal, and has started to gather, even if there's another step involved after the foul the play should properly be ruled as a foul in the act of shooting.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
you didn't have to ask that one - it can be arranged!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And what bothers me about this story, is this is an example that if you were to react in any way to that comment, you are considered unprofessional or taking their actions personally. But they are allowed to say anything and do anything and we are expected to just take it. The double standards are just unbelievable.

Peace
I agree with Rut here, there is a decided double standard in how things are viewed, in this case you would be asked if you are thin skinned, or unprofessional as Rut alluded to but the coach gets Carte blanche.
We have to be above it all.
The best you can do at that point is say coach we are done here and move on. The lines of communication are pretty much closed for the rest of the night too.
Once they play the Knuckle head card it is time to move on.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

OHBBREF brings up my next point on this. Once we got to this point at half time, I was really tempted to not even answer any more questions (especially after his question on the PC foul). It sure would have saved me the trouble on the "continuation" play.