The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Horrible display of sportsmanship

Coaching at a 8th grade boys tournament this past weekend, My team and I were early and watched the game before us. Two rivals that usually results in a well played game. What was disturbing though was the actions of several players on on team.

During the 2nd qtr. Home team drives to the basket and two players from the visiting team collapse on him. A foul is called, and the player who has the foul called on him walks through the paint, throws his hands on his head and says in a loud talking voice, "unbelievable" He does this several times. I was expecting a T, but it never came..an official said something to him while shooting free throws.

Game progresses, kid picks up his third and again shows visible disgust. Nothing said

Late 4th quarter, not sure if he fouls out or what, but again shows visible disgust...he comes out..and he he proceeds to strike the bench at least 5-6 times. About 10 seconds later, his teammate comes out and he does the same thing. The coach says nothing, but sadly neither do the officials.

To make matters worse, after the game is over, the officials watch the post game handshake(not required, but no place really to go) and the same player talked about goes up to the officials and tells them to google reffering.

Just wondering what you all would say about this.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I'm only in my 5th year and I'm already done with the Varsity coaches who act the fools.

An 8th grader, please, no brainer-second time he did his Steve Martin act-he's done.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Whats funny is that my kids are up in the stand laughing. Then I could hear them whispering, "coach would run us so much if we did that". Which is good. They already know me, I have told them to knock it off when I hear them say from the bench, "that's a foul".

Add to that, on Saturday, he played. If it were my team he wouldn't have made the trip. To each his own I guess.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, there are far too many officials who ignore this kind of behavior.

You will hear all kinds of excuses for this, but it really comes down to not wishing to deal with it.

Sadly, some of those officials post on this forum.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
...and the same player talked about goes up to the officials and tells them to google refereeing.
In no way shape or form am I condoning any of the players actions or comments, but deep down you got to admit that is pretty darn funny.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 09:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
To make matters worse, after the game is over, the officials watch the post game handshake(not required, but no place really to go) and the same player talked about goes up to the officials and tells them to google reffering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
In no way shape or form am I condoning any of the players actions or comments, but deep down you got to admit that is pretty darn funny.

"And what's more, those guys can't even spell............wait, I can't either."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whats funny is that my kids are up in the stand laughing. Then I could hear them whispering, "coach would run us so much if we did that". Which is good. They already know me, I have told them to knock it off when I hear them say from the bench, "that's a foul".

Add to that, on Saturday, he played. If it were my team he wouldn't have made the trip. To each his own I guess.
Sportsmanship starts with the coach. Glad to see you thought it important enough to teach it to your kids.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long View Post
Sportsmanship starts with the coach. Glad to see you thought it important enough to teach it to your kids.
And sportsmanship should continue with the parents. If my kid ever pulls anything like that, I'll bench her myself.

Sad to say though, but even at the 5th grade level, I see kids with terrible sportsmanship. One of the teams that we face frequently has a player (coach's daughter) that routinely mouths off to the officials: "Are you kidding?", "No way did I travel!". I rarely see a warning, and never a T.

In this case, it is easy to see where it comes from. Her mother (the coach) keeps up a steady stream of chirping at the officials during the game. In the 3 years that we've played them, she's only been warned to quiet down once.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
JRut,
You are correct when identifying the quality of some middle school game basketball officials. If I were doing this game, the player likely would not have gotten to this point. I am more tolerant of behavior than most. At the same time, players don't generally act like this during a middle school game. This type of behavior is usually reserved for the AAU/Ohio Youth Basketball post-season.

It is quite ironic that I am tolerant of this behavior as an official. As a coach, my players were NEVER allowed to say ANYTHING to an official, an opponent, an opposing coach, an opposing parent (or one of our parents) during a game. They were permitted to say "yes sir" or "no sir" in response to an official's question and that was it. No "palms to the heavens", no shaking heads, no smart comments, etc. As soon as they did, they came out of the game.

The only problem I see with what happened here is that next week the officials will likely not be as lenient and forgiving. While I do not like to give a middle school player a technical foul, I will certainly talk to him about his behavior. Generally, the player is only trying to see where the line will be drawn. Once I draw it -- and they sense I am serious about it -- they tend to stop it.

In this case, the player seemed to keep up the behavior after "the referee talked to the player during a free throw." While we do not know what the official said to the player, it is possible that the official did not take the next step after the behavior continued.

I have suggested to many new officials to be more tolerant of complaints when they first start because the complaints are probably accurate. At the same time, when a 14 year old starts showing up an adult official, action needs to be taken.

As a former coach, I would certainly hope that the coach takes the action. If he does not, I quite possibly have already spoken to the coach about the fact that one of his players is close to crossing the line. It appears as though the officials had multiple opportunities to take this step. If the coach takes no action, the technical should come as no surprise. In most cases, the coaches are generally happy to get the warning and take action on their own without the officials having to do anything else.

It appears as though a situation was escalating here and the officials -- experienced or not -- took no action.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Jan 19, 2009 at 08:59am.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
The only problem I see with what happened here is that next week the officials will likely not be as lenient and forgiving. While I do not like to give a middle school player a technical foul, I will certainly talk to him about his behavior. Generally, the player is only trying to see where the line will be drawn. Once I draw it -- and they sense I am serious about it -- they tend to stop it.
This should not be your concern. You cannot be concerned with what people will and will not do before you and after you. It is a losing battle if you try to worry about that. Do what you do and let the chips fall

Quote:
I have suggested to many new officials to be more tolerant of complaints when they first start because the complaints are probably accurate. At the same time, when a 14 year old starts showing up an adult official, action needs to be taken.
I do not know about that comment. I do not think a kid complaining is right about a lot of things. They think like fans and claim they do nothing wrong.

Quote:
It appears as though a situation was escalating here and the officials -- experienced or not -- took no action.
That is clear, but that does not mean they simply turned the other cheek. We all have our own idea of how to handle these things and some come from simple trial and error. It should be noted that none of us where there we do not know how egregious the actions were.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:43am
This IS My Social Life

Let's Have a Bi-Lateral Cease Fire Agreement

Stop it. Stop it! Stop it!!!

I don't care who started it, I learn too much from the both of you to risk missing out on the intellegent perspectives you each post from time to time.

Though a newcomer to this board, I hereby call for a truce. You're both to valuable to me to lose either of you over a disagreement like this.

Sing it with me . . .
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This should not be your concern. You cannot be concerned with what people will and will not do before you and after you. It is a losing battle if you try to worry about that. Do what you do and let the chips fall

I do not know about that comment. I do not think a kid complaining is right about a lot of things. They think like fans and claim they do nothing wrong.

That is clear, but that does not mean they simply turned the other cheek. We all have our own idea of how to handle these things and some come from simple trial and error. It should be noted that none of us where there we do not know how egregious the actions were.

Peace
JRut,
First of all, I, as you know, appreciate and frequently agree with your views on game management. While this thread has been hijacked a bit, I would like to respond to these comments.

Keep in mind, I have been a coach for a much longer time than I have been a referee. Hence, I do sometimes think more as a coach than as a referee -- especially when it comes to these situations. Do I really worry about such situations as a referee? No, I personally do not. But, I must admit that when I watch a game that involves an individual such as this, I do casually think about what lies ahead the next week for this youngster if his coach does not provide some guidance.

You are right concerning coach, parent and player bias, but when a new official is just getting started, they are going to make many more mistakes than when they are experienced. Therefore, I suggest that the newest officials are better off trying to block out the criticism than giving technical fouls every time they turn around.

You are right, we do not know exactly how the officials were attempting to address the conduct of the player discussed. From the author's view, it appears as though some of the player's actions were inappropriate. It appears as though the coach (keep in mind, I am NOT necessarily blaming the OFFICIALS here, but I am blaming the COACH based on what was written here) could have helped this young player develop and missed the opportunity.

One of the great aspects of life that sports teaches us is how to handle adversity. An unfair manager at work, a biased professor in school, an inaccurate accusation by a customer, an illness in the family (perhaps our own), the death of a friend/relative, etc. put us in a position in which we must learn to deal with the situation in a rational manner.

It seems as though this player was put in a position to have to deal with adversity. The coach appeared to have had an opportunity to help this youngster grow and chose to allow the player to act out his frustrations without the teaching element being introduced. Once again, we do not know what the coach said in the locker room after the game, but the coach gave the appearance of missing a teaching moment.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 07:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling ...

As I've said before, I'm pleased that we're going to have a fine, young, Irish lad in the White House. I can't wait to see a photo of Mr. O'Bama. I'm sure that he'll have red hair, and freckles. Hopefully he'll make Saint Patrick's Day a national holiday. I wonder if his ancestors came from County Monaghan, like my ancestors.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JRut,
First of all, I, as you know, appreciate and frequently agree with your views on game management.

You are right, we do not know exactly how the officials were attempting to address the conduct of the player discussed.
No matter that the officials let the kid off the hook the first time, that can be considered admirable that they tried to manage the situation in a different manner by talking to him... However... what happened to dealing with it times two, three, and four?

"Little Johnny if you do that again you are grounded! Now Johnny don't do that again or likek mommy said you will be grounded next time! Now Johnny I really mean it this time...!

Where does this kid learn respect for the parent teacher coach or official if when told if they do something again there will be consequences and when they do it again nothing happens that time either?

If you tell a player, or coach that something is going to happen if they proceed down the path they are giong - it better happen the next time they do it.

Quote:
It seems as though this player was put in a position to have to deal with adversity. The coach appeared to have had an opportunity to help this youngster grow and chose to allow the player to act out his frustrations without the teaching element being introduced. Once again, we do not know what the coach said in the locker room after the game, but the coach gave the appearance of missing a teaching moment.
While I agree with this statement as far as what happens after the game - what scares me is that it seems to have entered your thought process as to who you are managing your game on the floor in the immediate time frame.

I am not saying the official was wrong in not giving the inital T, however, the coach did not take advantage of the free ride. So if this player gives me a problem again they will get the T, especially if they were told that their previous behavior is unacceptable.
We can not worry about his lack of a meal, his mom yelling at him, his girl friend leaving him, or his coach being a jerk. There are nine other players on the floor, two head coaches and two benches full of other persons, that take their cue from how we deal with every play on the floor. So if this player is allowed to act the fool all day apparently so is everyone else.
That is not the game I want to have at any level on my floor.
Just my opinion. But you have to take care of the business at hand when required. From the way I read the OP it was required.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
While I agree with this statement as far as what happens after the game - what scares me is that it seems to have entered your thought process as to who you are managing your game on the floor in the immediate time frame.

I am not saying the official was wrong in not giving the inital T, however, the coach did not take advantage of the free ride. So if this player gives me a problem again they will get the T, especially if they were told that their previous behavior is unacceptable.
We can not worry about his lack of a meal, his mom yelling at him, his girl friend leaving him, or his coach being a jerk. There are nine other players on the floor, two head coaches and two benches full of other persons, that take their cue from how we deal with every play on the floor. So if this player is allowed to act the fool all day apparently so is everyone else.
That is not the game I want to have at any level on my floor.
Just my opinion. But you have to take care of the business at hand when required. From the way I read the OP it was required.
Do not misunderstand my post. From a coaching perspective, I am saying that it appears as though a great teaching opportunity was lost.

I am NOT telling you that I would not have given the player a technical foul in this game. These are nearly all HTBT moments, but if I had discussed something with the player AND if Trojan Horse's view of the game is accurate, the player would have gotten a T somewhere along the line if I were one of the officials.

I try not to second guess other officials (on either side) in these situations. We have to maintain control of the game. Did the officials do that in this case? We have one account that says no. The officials (and others) may disagree.

If a player yells "Jesus Christ" in vain during a game, will officials issue a technical foul? Well, in a CYO game, ABSOLUTELY. In a non-CYO, non-Christian league, the official better proceed with caution. Without knowing exactly what happened, it is difficult to judge.

IF the accounts are accurate, an official almost certainly should have issued a T. IF the accounts were accurate, regardless what the officials did or did not do, the coach had some great teaching moments -- at least most of which seem to have been missed.