The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Triping Over Players on Floor... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50993-triping-over-players-floor.html)

Adam Fri Jan 16, 2009 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 569446)
Agree with your statement, but how is mine incorrect? If you are just standing (or in this case lying) somewhere and not guarding anybody then how is LGP relevant?

It's not really, but the question is really moot, I think. Maybe he was guarding him (trying to get the ball, perhaps), maybe he wasn't. That's not the key; the key is whether he was moving.

slow whistle Fri Jan 16, 2009 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 569451)
It's not really, but the question is really moot, I think. Maybe he was guarding him (trying to get the ball, perhaps), maybe he wasn't. That's not the key; the key is whether he was moving.

OK perhaps I should clarify then b/c I assumed he wasn't trying to guard him. If he is just laying there not trying to guard him then LGP is irrelevant b/c he isn't trying to guard him. If he is laying there trying to guard him then LGP is irrlevant b/c he isn't moving. In any event LGP is irrelevant. Better?:)

AKOFL Fri Jan 16, 2009 02:43pm

A1 rebounds the ball and takes off heading for his basket. B3 is standing at the free-throw line with his back to the play. A1 runs into B3 displacing him. What do you have? Now say B3 was laying on the floor when A1 trips over him. What do you have now? Is B3 responsible for contact in either of these sitchs?

slow whistle Fri Jan 16, 2009 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 569454)
A1 rebounds the ball and takes off heading for his basket. B3 is standing at the free-throw line with his back to the play. A1 runs into B3 displacing him. What do you have? Now say B3 was laying on the floor when A1 trips over him. What do you have now? Is B3 responsible for contact in either of these sitchs?

PC in first example, probably nothing in second...if he just trips on him that probably isn't enough contact for a foul and there is no advantage gained....if he goes off the top rope and lands on him then I probably have something...

mdray Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:18pm

from my original sit: when A1 hits the floor, in control of the ball, are you saying "play on"? you can't be calling a traveling violation, could you?

mbyron Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 569378)
Triping Over Players on Floor...

What a long, strange tripe it's been. :cool:

Well, that takes guts. ;)

slow whistle Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdray (Post 569465)
from my original sit: when A1 hits the floor, in control of the ball, are you saying "play on"? you can't be calling a traveling violation, could you?

I wasn't going beyond the contact, but if A1 trips, controls/holds the ball and goes to the floor then yes I have a travel...how could you have nothing there? What if A1 goes down the lane, brushes the shoulder of B1 who is standing still in the lane (you judge to be no foul either way) and as a result of the contact loses his balance and takes three steps with the ball? What do you have?

mdray Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:37pm

if B1 is laying on the floor, right behind and out of the field of vision of A1, and non-incidental contact (A1 falling to the floor) occurs, that's a blocking foul on B1(caused by an illegal screen if you will)

Adam Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdray (Post 569475)
if B1 is laying on the floor, right behind and out of the field of vision of A1, and non-incidental contact (A1 falling to the floor) occurs, that's a blocking foul on B1(caused by an illegal screen if you will)

Not if A1 has the ball. If A1 has the ball, time and distance are not required.

If A1 does not have the ball, time and distance could be a factor.

Adam Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 569453)
OK perhaps I should clarify then b/c I assumed he wasn't trying to guard him. If he is just laying there not trying to guard him then LGP is irrelevant b/c he isn't trying to guard him. If he is laying there trying to guard him then LGP is irrlevant b/c he isn't moving. In any event LGP is irrelevant. Better?:)

I don't think it's ever relevant whether he's trying to guard him. :)

Adam Fri Jan 16, 2009 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdray (Post 569465)

Yes, you can. You can't ignore the violation.

slow whistle Fri Jan 16, 2009 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 569483)
Not if A1 has the ball. If A1 has the ball, time and distance are not required.

If A1 does not have the ball, time and distance could be a factor.

Upon further review I agree compltely. He could fall at his feet and you are right you don't apply the screening principles to a player with the ball....I just had a hard time in my head penalizing A1 for something completely out of his visual field, but that's the way it goes....

slow whistle Fri Jan 16, 2009 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 569484)
I don't think it's ever relevant whether he's trying to guard him. :)

Just to take it a step further though, what is your definition of "moving"? What if he is trying to get up, is he moving?

Kelvin green Fri Jan 16, 2009 04:27pm

My question?

Did A trip over B on the floor? Or
Did B trip A while on the floor?

In my mind there is a difference. We dont call a tripping foul everytime somone falls down do we?

B1 was not flopping, etc... B1 was on the floor going after a loose ball making a legitimate attempt..would not B1 be allowed the opportunity to get up etc? (he was at the spot first?)

If A tripped on the player, I'd not be very inclined to call the foul

mbyron Sat Jan 17, 2009 08:33am

Had players littering the floor in my game last night. Here's one:

Long, floating pass to A1 halfway down the court. A1 and B1 bump shoulders as they both go for the ball. A1 catches the pass, lands on his feet, sorta falls/sits down, and ends up lying on the court.

I whistle, and the B coach (right behind me) shouts "No!" until I signal travel. Then he's like, "Oh, OK," and we go the other way... ;)