The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

First for Me

Good Morning everyone. Well had a good game last night. I was looking forward to it. Big Schools, Boys Varsity. Good Crowd. Early second quarter I am trail there is a drive from my primary then a quick kickto the wing. On the quick kick (Centers' Primary) There is now a quick shot. The shooter tried to step back for a three but was a foot inside the arch. The only reason I had my eyes over there was because of the drive from my primary. Anyway. Shot goes in. C signals 3. I blow my whistle and signal 2. No complaint from anyone. Shooter doesn't do/say anything, and neither does the coach (who usually complains a lot). At the half the official that I corrected was peeved that I corrected him. He thought he was right. I told him I knew I was right. He is a vet who is a little weak and doesn't like to be told when he does wrong (which is quite often).
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:50am
Courageous When Prudent

What did your crew pre-game about handling that situation?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

If it wasn't pre-gamed I would have probably blew the whistle, huddled with the calling official, and then let him change it if he wished.

-Josh
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
If it wasn't pre-gamed I would have probably blew the whistle, huddled with the calling official, and then let him change it if he wished.

-Josh
I agree -- no sense in arguing with a partner on the court and just changing his call like this undermines the crew.

If there is ever any question or concern get with your partner and have him change the call. If he persists that he is right let it go and move on. If it were really egrigeous (sp?) you can write your assignor after the game explaining what happened but man up and let your partner know that you will be reporting his screw up.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Good Morning everyone. Well had a good game last night. I was looking forward to it. Big Schools, Boys Varsity. Good Crowd. Early second quarter I am trail there is a drive from my primary then a quick kickto the wing. On the quick kick (Centers' Primary) There is now a quick shot. The shooter tried to step back for a three but was a foot inside the arch. The only reason I had my eyes over there was because of the drive from my primary. Anyway. Shot goes in. C signals 3. I blow my whistle and signal 2. No complaint from anyone. Shooter doesn't do/say anything, and neither does the coach (who usually complains a lot). At the half the official that I corrected was peeved that I corrected him. He thought he was right. I told him I knew I was right. He is a vet who is a little weak and doesn't like to be told when he does wrong (which is quite often).
You did the right thing. Whether you were looking in the right place or not is not the issue, because you weren't. But you made a wrong call right. The film will show that. Good job.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

From the NFHS Rule Book: 2-6 No official has the authority to set aside or question decisions make by the other official(s) within the limits of their respective outlined duties.

From the NFHS Officials Manual: 3.5.4 B1 - Crew communication during the contest is essential to a well-officiated game. 3.5.4 B2 - "Help" situations occur when officials either ask for or are offered assistance from their partners. These situations often occur on out-of-bounds plays and/or tipped-ball situations, the timing of a try/tap, and others. These situations should be discussed throughly during the crew's pregame conference.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Who had the crash on the quick kick (not saying there was one - it's definitely a situation where a pass/crash could happen)?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

This play falls under 'Correctable Error'.
I would sound my whistle and briefly discuss the play with 'C' official. He is the one who corrects the call. Once the discussion is completed, then he will inform the coaches and table of the decission.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:11pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I would sound my whistle and briefly discuss the play with 'C' official. He is the one who corrects the call. Once the discussion is completed, then he will inform the coaches and table of the decission.
Are you saying a 2 counted as a 3 can't be fixed after 2 live ball?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Are you saying a 2 counted as a 3 can't be fixed after 2 live ball?
If the official signals 2 (or 3) and the book writes it down as such, then this is a CE and must be fixed within the time-frame.

If the official signals a 2 (or 3) and the book writes it down as a 3 (or 2), then this is a scorekeeping error and can be fixed at any time.

Some mechanics have the "2 to a 3 or 3 to a 2" correction be done immediately by the off official with no discussion. Blow the whistle, inform the table (and everyone else) of the change, get the ball back in play.

Some mechanics have the discussion.

It's been argued passionately on this board several times. Most of us should just do what ever is common in our locations / leagues.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:25pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the official signals a 2 (or 3) and the book writes it down as a 3 (or 2), then this is a scorekeeping error and can be fixed at any time.
Thanks!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
tell us which one of the five errors this would fall under please?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:34pm
Ch1town

(e)
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
(e)
You counted the score.

Your implication of this being a correctable error would put a time limit on when this could be corrected.

The book says that you may correct a scoring or book keeping mistake anytime before the referee aproves the final score.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:54pm
Ch1town

That's what I thought too.

Always listen to bob (see post 10).