The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Scheduling for next year, trying to limit Jr High games

I've been filling up my schedule for next year and am curious about how you guys handle these situations.

The biggest conference around here has an assignor, but the rest of the games are scheduled by the individual schools. I'm trying to work more varsity games into my schedule for next year and, at the same time, trying to limit the amount of jr high games that I work. I don't mind working them from Sept. - Oct. but, once the high school season tips, my schedule is packed and I just don't have room for many jr. high contests.

I don't want to offend AD's or come across as conceited, I simply want to advance as most officials do. Is there a way to respectfully bring this up when scheduling games for next year?

Last edited by ILRef80; Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 04:03pm.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 04:05pm
Ch1town

Around here it's pretty simple as we sign-up for JH games. From Dec-March I just don't request any. Sometimes you may get a call & a simple "wish I could but I'm pretty busy" always works.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 05:14pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I don't take JH games until after the season starts, since they're assigned by our association. I fill up on varsity games as much as I can, then give the association my open dates and let them stick some subvarsity (JV, Res, Frosh) in. If there's anything left open, and the association begs for help, I'll take a JH game or two, depending on my work schedule. They're usually early enough I can't leave work so it works itself out that I don't have to take too many of them.

Last edited by Ref Ump Welsch; Tue Jan 13, 2009 at 05:15pm. Reason: added to sentence
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

it is easy to tell the officials that are there for the kids. varsity is more challenging, but working with mid school kids to watch them develope is what officiating is all about. I'll do your mid school games
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
it is easy to tell the officials that are there for the kids. varsity is more challenging, but working with mid school kids to watch them develope is what officiating is all about. I'll do your mid school games
Maybe for you, not for everyone. I'm there to work the game, no matter what level it is. I'm not saying I'm just there for the money, I love refereeing, but I'm not doing it as a service for the kids. I wouldn't do it for free.

I get what the OP is saying. In a few years when I'm working a lot of varsity I won't want many JH games either. I have no problem paying my dues my first few years, but everyone wants to advance.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I went through this last year with JV games. When the AD's called with dates I just explained that my varsity and college schedule was taking more and more of time time so I needed to cut back on the lower level dates. I always thanked them for thinking of me and told them that if they get in a real bind and need someone on short notice, I'd be happy to help out on occasion. I'm hoping to have the same conversation with some AD's about Varsity games in the next few years.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 02:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
I've been filling up my schedule for next year and am curious about how you guys handle these situations.

The biggest conference around here has an assignor, but the rest of the games are scheduled by the individual schools. I'm trying to work more varsity games into my schedule for next year and, at the same time, trying to limit the amount of jr high games that I work. I don't mind working them from Sept. - Oct. but, once the high school season tips, my schedule is packed and I just don't have room for many jr. high contests.

I don't want to offend AD's or come across as conceited, I simply want to advance as most officials do. Is there a way to respectfully bring this up when scheduling games for next year?
I did the very same thing when I was dealing with Ads over 10 years ago. I did not take any JH games until right before the season and I would not take many weeks in advance. And if you seriously have to make a choice of taking varsity games, it is your right to not take lower level games.

Remember this is a business. And in that business it is your right to set the parameters of how you run your business. And like many independent contractor business (outside of officiating) people decide how they are going to work and when they work. After all this is a hobby that pays us money. And if you are going to leave your house for money, you have the right to decide what you are leaving your house to do.

Peace