The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   shooting foul question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50909-shooting-foul-question.html)

Adam Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackersFTW (Post 574799)
how can you guys say this? do you also feel the same way about college football vs the nfl? why not? should be the same argument.

I quit watching the NBA when it became a one-on-one contest. If it's changed again, good, but I still don't watch. I prefer the college game.

The National Football League has no similar issues that make it worse than the college game, IMO.

mbyron Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 574814)
The National Football League has no similar issues that make it worse than the college game, IMO.

Right. The NFL's issues are different. ;)

Raymond Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:19am

Quote:

wow, you're so clever and mature.

Thank you, something I must have picked up from my years on this forum. I'll pass the good words on to my mentors.

Quote:

yes, actually, they always say nba, it's the complete opposite of the nfl, oops, i mean national football league, please don't reprimand me!

Are officials in the NFL allowed to throw a flag if the announcers or sideline reporters use incorrect terminology?

BktBallRef Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 574813)
If the foul causes the "travel" then the violation is ignored. I'd also say that the "travel" ends the try, and award two (or three -- but I'm not sure how likely that is) FTs.

What they would do in the NBA, I don't know.

I do, They would wave off the basket and award the FTs.

This exact situation happened with Lebron Jones last week. Lebron couldn't understand why they waved off the basket and the Orlando players couldn't understand why he was shooting FTs.

Straight from Bob Delaney's mouth, "He traveled after he was fouled."

PackersFTW Wed Feb 04, 2009 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 574845)
Thank you, something I must have picked up from my years on this forum. I'll pass the good words on to my mentors.

Are officials in the NFL allowed to throw a flag if the announcers or sideline reporters use incorrect terminology?

officials usually don't hear any of the commentators or reporters. also, it wouldn't be up to the officials. it would probably be ignored anyways, but if they did it a few times, they might get a call or letter saying try not to abbreviate it. i don't make the rules, i just notice them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 574850)
I do, They would wave off the basket and award the FTs.

This exact situation happened with Lebron Jones last week. Lebron couldn't understand why they waved off the basket and the Orlando players couldn't understand why he was shooting FTs.

Straight from Bob Delaney's mouth, "He traveled after he was fouled."

ya, that's what i thought, because think about it, you would have an unfair advantage on the continuation. the entire point of a foul is that you were unfairly given a disadvantage. some players would probably rather get fouled if it meant they could travel on the continuation, in place of shooting free throws. i guarantee you shaq and ben wallace would.

Raymond Wed Feb 04, 2009 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 574845)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackersFTW (Post 575750)
officials usually don't hear any of the commentators or reporters. also, it wouldn't be up to the officials. it would probably be ignored anyways, but if they did it a few times, they might get a call or letter saying try not to abbreviate it. i don't make the rules, i just notice them.

Steven Wright is in trouble.

Adam Wed Feb 04, 2009 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 575762)
Steven Wright is in trouble.

Now that's funny.