Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 09:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Where Do You Warm Up?

This is primarily an NBA (NBE) thread with questions, so, turn away now if you don’t want to read it!

Went to the Charlotte Bobcats vs Washington Wizards game last night (stupid Wizards lost at the end after leading the entire game – losers!) Sorry, I digress......

We get there early and everyone is on the court warming up, to include the refs in their “oh so beautiful” off-white jackets with blue stripes – YUK (IMO)! Now, the Wizards are on their half, Bobcats on their half, and right on the middle between the two are the three refs stretching. Squats, lunges, modified jumping jackets, running in place, knee bends, jogging down the sidelines, almost dancing side to side with the blaring music, etc. Now, I guess it shows the fans/players they’re “warming up” just like the other participants. But, it looked odd to me.

I have been taught to go onto the court and its business/game face and to have already warmed up. Just curious, does this change as you get higher up? College? Anyone know if this is required by the NBA? Just curious.

As I suspect, the NBA grades out their officials pretty thoroughly each game. Last night one official “seemed” to call a disproportionate amount of the game. Now it might have been just me, but, my son noticed it too after I pointed it out. It “appeared” like he called 60% of the fouls/violations, and one guy did very little. Maybe it was just “his night.” It was weird though (especially since at half time of my JV game the other night I asked a V ref for some feedback and he told my partner I was calling too much of the game – maybe I was just sensitive to it).

- There were two travelling and one carrying violation! Shocking!

- Some other interesting stuff I saw (duh to me I guess) - mechanics: I was not used to/don't use (hitting the head, backing up to show displacment, trip). I also didn't realize the teams were opposite their benches (not in front of their benches like HS in the 2nd half). And players.....the end of the benches were way off the court! The players on the injured list were in the second row behind the bench or off the endline.

- I really watched the refs hard especially the two that had their electronic devices on their belts - to chop the clock I suppose?

All in all an enjoyable, albiet expensive night......