The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 11:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

And I Wasn't Trying To Be Mean About The Edit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
While I like you, you aren't Padgett, even though you sure seem to be trying to be. Don't take offense.
Nobody can be a Mark Padgett. I thought for sure that he would stop posting during the television writer's strike a while ago. I'm not trying to be like him, I'm just trying to be me, trying to improve my basketball officiating knowledge, and have a little fun at the same time. No offense taken.

"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy: I knew Jack Kennedy; Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy". (Senator Lloyd Bentsen, October 5,. 1988)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 11:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nobody can be a Mark Padgett. I thought for sure that he would stop posting during the television writer's strike a while ago. I'm not trying to be like him, I'm just trying to be me, trying to improve my basketball officiating knowledge, and have a little fun at the same time. No offense taken.

"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy: I knew Jack Kennedy; Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy". (Senator Lloyd Bentsen, October 5,. 1988)
No worries. I'm not a moderator, nor do I mind OT postings. Actually, I don't know why I posted what I did, maybe not enough caffeine this morning.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Since I am a first year official I have been doing only Freshman, or Sophomore games which means that they start at either 3:30 or 4:00. Because of the early leave I have to take from work I try to arrive around 30 minutes early. I have had partners that will only show up 10 minutes before the game. Drives me nuts!
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Me too. If I'm going to be an alternate, it better be contracted and paid for.

We target 6:30 for 7:30 varsity games. Frequently we arrive between 6:15 and 6:30. We usually watch the third quarter of the JV game and then get dressed. Although I liked last night -- we went to the locker room at halftime, had a nice pregame, and didn't bother coming back out until we were needed for warmups.
When there's no JV game in front (holiday tournaments, playoffs), frequently there is nobody really at the school ready for us or spectators before 30-45 minutes before the game. We'll pregame in the car or quickly while we're dressing in those circumstances since by state rules we must take the floor at 20:00.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBullock View Post
It depends on your supervisor and the level you are working. HS Var. Boys, most of the local supervisors what the varsity officials (at least 1 if not all 3) at the site prior to the start of the JV game. That's just in case 1 of the JV guys doesn't show.
Wow. I get to my games about 1 hour before...usually a little earlier.

I think the the above requirement (in red) is excessive. It puts a person there almost 2 hours before game time. I don't think an official should be required to be there for two games unless they're getting paid for two games.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
1 hour to 1 hour 15min
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 11:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't think an official should be required to be there for two games unless they're getting paid for two games.
In our little corner of the Land Of Steady Habits, varsity officials are strongly encouraged to get to the site at the start of the junior varsity game. We watch three quarters of the game before going to the locker room to get dressed and do our pregame. Junior Varsity officials are strongly encouraged to stay for at least one half of the varsity game. This allows for some educational discussion between the crews during the junior varsity halftime, between games, and during the varsity halftime. Also, 80% of our rating, and thus our ranking, and thus the number, and level of assignments that we get next season, is based on peer ratings, so we need to get a good look at each other to give an accurate rating.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It was funnier the first time. The way that this is supposed to work is someone posts a "straight" line, then, someone, usually Mark Padgett, posts a funny "comeback" line, and everybody gets a little chuckle. By editing your original post, the "comeback" line isn't funny anymore. With 1,797 posts, you should know this by now. It's not rocket science, or brain surgery.
Kind of like Phil, the show killer on Dan Patrick.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Varsity an hour.........kid's games, as much as I'd like to be earlier, 10, 15 minutes is the norm, which I don't recommend.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While I like you, you aren't Padgett, even though you sure seem to be trying to be.

Just my opinion, though. Don't take offense.

Billy, keep it comin' ...................While Padgett is the king of corn on the left coast, we need some Eastern humor.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If He's The King Of Corn, Then I'm Just A Can Of Corn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Billy, keep it comin'. While Padgett is the king of corn on the left coast, we need some Eastern humor.
Thanks, but I'm not even in the same league as Mark Padgett. Didn't you understand my recent post? Let me rephrase it for you:

"BillyMac, I served with Mark Padgett: I knew Mark Padgett; Mark Padgett was a friend of mine. BillyMac, you're no Mark Padgett". (Jurassic Referee, October 5,. 1988)

Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
For my high school games, I try to get there at least and hour prior and for my NCAA games, 1.5 - 2.0 hours.