The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

How soon do you arrive?

How early do you arrive for a game? I always try for an hour, which allows for anything unusual to happen.

If I'm running "late" (i.e., without leeway) I'll call my partner and tell him that I will be l cutting it close. Lately, the response is, but the game isn't till 5:45?

Rita
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

It depends on your supervisor and the level you are working. HS Var. Boys, most of the local supervisors what the varsity officials (at least 1 if not all 3) at the site prior to the start of the JV game. That's just in case 1 of the JV guys doesn't show.

for lower level 45/30 minutes prior to the game. (The earlier the better)

For NCAA ball, 1.5 hours prior to the game.

Early is good.

Bottom line, what does your supervisor want and how much time do you need to get physically and mentally ready to work the game.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:14am
Administrator

NCAA Men's and Women's: CCA Manual says at least 1-1/2 hours.

NFHS: At least one hour. For JrHS games personally arrive at the game at least 45 minutes before. (The IAABO Manual is the same as the NFHS Manual.)

FIBA: At least one hour.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

For sub varsity, we try to arrive at the game site 30-45 minutes before game time.

Varsity officials usually show up before the JV game which is nice since they usually watch the first half of the game. At the latest, you'll see officials arrive at halftime of the JV game.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 02:06am
Do not give a damn!!

All varsity games an hour if I am by myself. Sometimes I try to get there earlier if I can, but that depends on many other circumstances.

Lower level games 30 minutes.

College games, and hour and a half at the very least, if not earlier.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 07:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
I always try for an hour, which allows for anything unusual to happen.
Living in the DC/NVA area, this is exactly my thoughts as well no matter what level. For Rec Ball where the games are much closer I am there at least 20 min early.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 07:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

30 minutes for high school. But in the area that I work, people often have to leave work early do to the JV/V double header. With that it mind, it is permissible to be less than 30 minutes early. Generally, if you're going to be 25-30 minutes early, no problem, but something around 15-20 minutes, your P must know ahead of time - and it shan't be a regular occurance. Less than 15 is a no-no. However, we're short of officials, and good officials, so when it comes down to having people at the game or not. . .

All-star tournaments on the weekend are different again. There is SO MUCH basketball, that it's not uncommon for officials to drive between sites with little break between games. Here, the expectation to arrive 30 minutes early is lifted, but otherwise 30 minutes is appreciated, but many guys arrive 15 minutes early.

College is 90+ minutes.

Contrary to MTD's approach, the ruleset doesn't dictate how early we are: but rather the type of game does. Obviously college demands a more intense pre-game than 10 year olds, even if they're their city's all-star players.

On a side note, there's no way in hell I would arive before the JV, just in case one of the JV guys didn't show, and not get paid for that extra time. That's one of the most silliest things I've read.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 07:17am.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
On a side note, there's no way in hell I would arive before the JV, just in case one of the JV guys didn't show, and not get paid for that extra time. That's one of the most silliest things I've read.
Me too. If I'm going to be an alternate, it better be contracted and paid for.

We target 6:30 for 7:30 varsity games. Frequently we arrive between 6:15 and 6:30. We usually watch the third quarter of the JV game and then get dressed. Although I liked last night -- we went to the locker room at halftime, had a nice pregame, and didn't bother coming back out until we were needed for warmups.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Be early enough so that if you're late, you're on time.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

"He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Be early enough so that if you're late, you're on time.
This almost sounds like a Yogi Berra quote.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

V games about the end of the 1st quarter. JV 30 minutes. JH when i get there... about 20 minutes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 09:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Gig, If You Can Get It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
V games about the end of the 1st quarter.
So you always make your partner work the first period by himself? Remind me never to work a varsity game with you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
[COLOR="black"][COLOR="Red"]V games about the end of the 1st quarter OF THE JV GAME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So you always make your partner work the first period by himself? Remind me never to work a varsity game with you.
There. I fixed it.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 11:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who's On First ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
There. I fixed it.
It was funnier the first time. The way that this is supposed to work is someone posts a "straight" line, then, someone, usually Mark Padgett, posts a funny "comeback" line, and everybody gets a little chuckle. By editing your original post, the "comeback" line isn't funny anymore. With 1,797 posts, you should know this by now. It's not rocket science, or brain surgery.

Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 11:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It was funnier the first time. The way that this is supposed to work is someone posts a "straight" line, then, someone, usually Mark Padgett, posts a funny "comeback" line, and everybody gets a little chuckle. By editing your original post, the "comeback" line isn't funny anymore. With 1,797 posts, you should know this by now. It's not rocket science, or brain surgery.
While I like you, you aren't Padgett, even though you sure seem to be trying to be.

Just my opinion, though. Don't take offense.