The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 11:14pm
This IS My Social Life

"Screening Teammates" -- Just Tonight!

Yet again . . . a rare situation discussed recently on this board, and then it happens tonight!
My games were cancelled due to previously mentioned snowstorm, so I went to observe another set of F/JV/V boys' games. 30 seconds to go in the JV tilt and team A, one point ahead, intending to stall and/or draw a foul, lines up five guys parallel to the sideline and begins passing it to each other while each was holding the ball over the sideline.
The defense didn't know that all they had to do was keep a guy close behind them and they'd get a 5 second closely guarded call. They ended up fouling out of frustration after about 8 seconds (took 'em 4 or 5 seconds to decide what to do, obviously not having seen this tactic before).
The fans sitting around me turn to me for an assessment. I immediately say, "Casebook 9.10.1.D.a." Responding to the question, "What is a casebook?", I draw it from my jacket pocket, they passed it around and marvelled I could pull that reference out of my inner regions that quickly.
I didn't tell them it came up on this discussion board just this past week. Thanx for making me look cool.

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 11:31pm. Reason: speeling mistaks
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

If they're passing, then you can't give call a 5-seconds violation, can you? I thought that rule only applied to a player holding the ball, and the teammates screening to attempt to keep the defense away, thus trying to avoid the 5 second call.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

9.10.1 SITUATION D: Team A, while in possession of the ball in its frontcourt: (a) positions four players parallel with the sideline and they pass the ball from one to another with their arms reaching beyond the sideline plane; or (b) has four teammates surround dribbler A1. In both (a) and (b), the opponents are unable to get close to the ball.

RULING: This is considered to be a closely-guarded situation and a violation in five seconds in both (a) and (b), if any B player is within 6 feet of the ball or within 6 feet of the screening teammates and is attempting to gain control of the ball. Preventing opponents from getting to the ball by using screening teammates becomes a violation in five seconds if the opponents are attempting to gain control.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith