View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Getting too lenient

B9 game last night, 2 whistle. The V assistant coach is very into the game and does some chirping along with his coaching (although always stays seated.) Head Coach is standing and is pretty quiet, apparently the assistant does most of the talking.

About midway through the second quarter my partner calls a foul and the asst. coach questions the call. I see my partner hesitate and then give him an explanation. The very next play he asks me something and I ignore him.

A couple of minutes into the third quarter, I call a travel and hear him say "I'm gonna need an explanation on that one." All the while he stays seated. I go have a conversation with the Head Coach and don't hear anything more from him until late in the game when he starts chirping again. With :11 remaining in the game with V down by about 9 pts. His complaint after an OOB call deep in the sideline corner was, "anything below the free throw line is supposed to be put in on the baseline."

I feel myself go flush and take a breath to blow my whistle . . . but didn't. This is the second time this season that I have passed on a WHACK late in a lower level game. The first situation was similar. Other than "giving him the business", I didn't see much to gain from WHACKING at that point in the game.

My point, I wasn't that leninet when I did a lot of lower level games. My question, am I doing other officials (ones who will have him later) an injustice?

IOW, am I getting too lenient?