The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Wha??? HUH???

So I'm doing rec league last night and we have a violation on the jump ball. B1 touches the ball before it reaches the top of the toss.

So I give A1 the ball out of bounds. A few minutes later we have a held ball and I start to award the ball to B out of bounds.

The scorer's table starts buzzing the horn and beckons me over. The scorer is a fellow JV official who I've worked with before. Really nice guy, he runs one of the local holiday youth tournaments.

I ask what the problem is and he says "Should be A's ball."

I explain the situation, that B1 violated on the jump, so we gave A the ball, and the arrow should have been pointed to B.

He goes on to tell me that he knows "for 100% sure" that I'm wrong. He claims that he used to think that was the rule, too, but then someone showed him in the illustrated rule book that "the violation actually counts as a possession, so A should get the ball out of bounds plus the arrow."

I had no clue what he was talking about, so I gave the ball to B anyway.

Every time I came back to the bench, he kept telling me about how many times he's looked up that rule and how sure he is that he's right. I just kept my mouth shut and said "Okay."

I can understand someone saying they "seem to remember" or "I thought that was the rule." But for someone to quote five different officials who he has asked the rule of and all five of them told him the wrong rule?

Just strange.

Last edited by fiasco; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 11:28am.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:26am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
So I'm doing rec league last night and we have a violation on the jump ball. B1 touches the ball before it reaches the top of the toss.

So I give A1 the ball out of bounds. A few minutes later we have a jump ball and I start to award the ball to B out of bounds.

The scorer's table starts buzzing the horn and beckons me over. The scorer is a fellow JV official who I've worked with before. Really nice guy, he runs one of the local holiday youth tournaments.

I ask what the problem is and he says "Should be A's ball."

I explain the situation, that B1 violated on the jump, so we gave A the ball, and the arrow should have been pointed to B.

He goes on to tell me that he knows "for 100% sure" that I'm wrong. He claims that he used to think that was the rule, too, but then someone showed him in the illustrated rule book that "the violation actually counts as a possession, so A should get the ball out of bounds plus the arrow."

I had no clue what he was talking about, so I gave the ball to B anyway.

Every time I came back to the bench, he kept telling me about how many times he's looked up that rule and how sure he is that he's right. I just kept my mouth shut and said "Okay."

I can understand someone saying they "seem to remember" or "I thought that was the rule." But for someone to quote five different officials who he has asked the rule of and all five of them told him the wrong rule?

Just strange.
Why did you have another jump ball?

Yes, all five of them told him incorrectly.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:28am
MABO Member

So did you go look it up? Or get him to show you the reference after?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Why did you have another jump ball?
Aaargghgh!!! Fixed
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
So did you go look it up? Or get him to show you the reference after?
I looked it up when I got home just to make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills or something.

Next time I see him, he's gonna get the "I told you so" speech.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

He was 100% sure because that used to be the high school rule. It only changed a few years ago. So he was right, but he was five years late.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:34am
#thereferee99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
This is where the term "game fee" comes into play... as in, "I will bet you my game fee that I'm correct." or "Well, since you are so certain, I'm sure a wager of your game fees for the month would offer you an incredible opportunity to enhance your income!"
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
He was 100% sure because that used to be the high school rule. It only changed a few years ago. So he was right, but he was five years late.

He was wrong 5 years ago, too. That only applied if B caught the jump ball.

On the OP, the ball has "always" been given to A with the arrow to B.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Prolly need to tell him to shut his pie hole and when he gets into the game, he can call it any way he pleases.

He should know better than to talk unsolicited to the refs during a game. He's table support - he has his own job to do. If he wants to talk after the game fine, but you made a call and you really don't need someone else making the whole crew look like a bunch of idiots. Then you get people questioning every call - asking "are you sure about that? Maybe you shold ask the table.".

Situations like that tick me off - bringing crap into the game.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Had something similar just last night in a kids 6th grade game. White vs. Black. White gets the opening tip. About a minute later we have a held ball. I declare black ball. The scorer beckons toward me to come over. He says he has white ball. I tell him white got the opening tip and this is the first held ball since then, so it has to be black ball. He tells me he thought black got the opening tip. I told him there's a simple explanation for that. He asked what it was. I replied, "You're wrong". He just shrugged and we didn't have any problems after that.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:42pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
He was wrong 5 years ago, too. That only applied if B caught the jump ball.
Of course I knew that, I just didn't read the original story closely enough. Duh. As soon as I read the part about getting the ball and arrow, I blanked on what the actual violation had been.