Thread: Wha??? HUH???
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Wha??? HUH???

So I'm doing rec league last night and we have a violation on the jump ball. B1 touches the ball before it reaches the top of the toss.

So I give A1 the ball out of bounds. A few minutes later we have a held ball and I start to award the ball to B out of bounds.

The scorer's table starts buzzing the horn and beckons me over. The scorer is a fellow JV official who I've worked with before. Really nice guy, he runs one of the local holiday youth tournaments.

I ask what the problem is and he says "Should be A's ball."

I explain the situation, that B1 violated on the jump, so we gave A the ball, and the arrow should have been pointed to B.

He goes on to tell me that he knows "for 100% sure" that I'm wrong. He claims that he used to think that was the rule, too, but then someone showed him in the illustrated rule book that "the violation actually counts as a possession, so A should get the ball out of bounds plus the arrow."

I had no clue what he was talking about, so I gave the ball to B anyway.

Every time I came back to the bench, he kept telling me about how many times he's looked up that rule and how sure he is that he's right. I just kept my mouth shut and said "Okay."

I can understand someone saying they "seem to remember" or "I thought that was the rule." But for someone to quote five different officials who he has asked the rule of and all five of them told him the wrong rule?

Just strange.

Last edited by fiasco; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 11:28am.