The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

New referee experiences...

Forum,

I am a first year official, and this forum has provided me with great information that I have already used. Thanks to all those that participate!

As I said, I am a first year official, and after games (especially ones where I feel my performance was sub-par), I constantly replay mistakes, calls, non calls, outcomes, coaches comments, fan comments, and other things over and over again. I have been told that this is "common" for new officials, and it will get better over time. Is this generally the case?

I strive to be a perfect referee, but I know that is nearly impossible as mistakes will happen. I guess wish I could leave the game on the court, and not carry it around with me. Any suggestions or insight? Thanks...
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I have been officiating basketball for 10 years now and there are still certain plays that I kicked that still "haunt" me. I think about what I would do differently to handle the situation better if and when it should present itself again. It would be easy to say "Don't let those plays eat you up," but they will, just try to learn from them.

Things will get better. Keep working at it. Listen to and watch veteran officials. Build on your strengths and work on your weaknesses. I have found that if the more experienced officials know you are willing to listen and learn, they are more than willing to work with you. Don't burn those bridges.

Your lower level games can be tougher games to work as the kids are still learning to play and have as much to learn as you do.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

One thing I've found helpful is to start a game journal. Get a notebook. After every game, or set of games, spend a few minutes reviewing the game. In mine I try to note:
  • Things that went particularly well
  • Things that didn't go well
  • Unusual things that happened, including looking up rules, etc. and noting them
  • Things I'm working on that game, and how they went
  • I keep a running list of things to work on

The game journal has a lot of positives to it: self-accountability, the opportunity to reflect on plays and situations and think about how to handle them next time, a valuable memory jog (if you briefly review your most recent notes before your next game). And perhaps most valuable of all, I find that if I can "bleed" all the ugliness out onto paper, I don't spend nearly so much time reliving all the horrors that night.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

I'm in my second year, and i still look back over games and think about calls made or that weren't made, that i would do differently.

More experienced officials tell me that people that care about the game, care about becoming the best they can be and are not in it just for the check, will always do that.

I like to meet with my partner after the game and discuss some of the plays or a situation where i thought maybe I could handle or position myself better. Since I do high school JV or mid school, it is hard as the partner ,many times, is there for the bucks and splits at the final bell.

Each game provides an experience or a lesson that helps us become more proficient in the sport.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

We've all been a newbie

Welcome MatthewPV to the world of officiating and this forum..

Others have already offered some great advice, I will reinforce what they have said and add some new ones.

Eye contact with your partner
ALWAYS establish eye contact with your partner(s) before putting the ball in play. This is the most powerful bit of info I can offer.

Slow down
Commonly, new officials race through the decision-making process and mechanics and it leads to mistakes.

Select one area of weakness to improve each game
You will quickly learn things that need improvement. Eye contact with partner, watching your primary area (especially when it is "off-ball"), etc....

Don't stew over mistakes
With each experience on the floor you will gain more insight about the game and yourself. I call it developing a filter.

Don't assess the quality of your officiating based on the feedback of fans or coaches.
Very few of these individuals actually know the rules. Which leads to my next tidbit.

Know the rules.
Ongoing rules study is essential. Participating in this forum will expedite your rules knowledge.

Keep a Journal.
Just do it... You'll understand its value soon.

Have Fun!
When you are working game you always want to come across that you are having fun.

Good Luck with your newly found addiction... uh, er, I mean career as an official.

Last edited by williebfree; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 01:42pm.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
One thing I've found helpful is to start a game journal. Get a notebook. After every game, or set of games, spend a few minutes reviewing the game. In mine I try to note:
  • Things that went particularly well
  • Things that didn't go well
  • Unusual things that happened, including looking up rules, etc. and noting them
  • Things I'm working on that game, and how they went
  • I keep a running list of things to work on

The game journal has a lot of positives to it: self-accountability, the opportunity to reflect on plays and situations and think about how to handle them next time, a valuable memory jog (if you briefly review your most recent notes before your next game). And perhaps most valuable of all, I find that if I can "bleed" all the ugliness out onto paper, I don't spend nearly so much time reliving all the horrors that night.

While I also am a first year official, I will tell you that keeping a journal is a great way to "not take the game home with you". After games I will usually ice down my knees, and while that is taking place I keep a "journal" in my BlackBerry. I like to keep track of things that went well, and things that didn't as well as how the coaches, players, and my partner all were. It really does help me calm down after games.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Perfection

I am in my 30th year of officiating and I still replay what happened in the game. It comes with the avocation.

A couple of more items:

Partner(s): Remember there are always three teams on the floor. Trust your partner(s). You need to communicate and be the best team on the floor. Always support your partner and help each other to become better. Identify the shooter when you are the non calling official for all fouls. Know when you have 6 and 9 fouls and communicate that. Communicate the throw-in spot for all violations and fouls, etc.

Perfection: Be careful with your perception of perfection. That can be a huge detriment do you becoming a great official. The best games that you will do will be ones where the fans, coaches and players did not know you were there. Do not overcall or undercall the game. This will come with time and games situations. I fight perfection all the time. I have become a much better official by not trying to be perfect but to become a better game manager. It is a multilegged stool that you are balancing on. Know the rules, game management and communication can make you the best team on the court.

Video: Watch tape of games that you work and others work. Understand why the call and don't call items. Were you in position to make the call. Did you see the whole play. Was the call in your primary. etc.

Camps: I still go to 2 or 3 camps a year. Find some in your area and go and learn.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
Partner(s): Remember there are always three teams on the floor. Trust your partner(s). You need to communicate and be the best team on the floor. Always support your partner and help each other to become better. Identify the shooter when you are the non calling official for all fouls. Know when you have 6 and 9 fouls and communicate that. Communicate the throw-in spot for all violations and fouls, etc.
Awesome statement combined with maintaining eye contact with your partner.