The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

What are some learning experiences you guys have had over the years as officials? I know I'll make my share of mistakes as a new official, but I want to make as few as possible. How would you describe a perfect a perfect team player within an organization, and are cliques a problem?
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Welcome utex to the world of officiating. Some of the expereinces that have taught me a lot of valuable information is body language and communication. When you are working game you always want to come across that you have having fun and that you are a very approachable person. I am a firm believer that both player and coach have a right to be heard. I think when we as officials allow players and coaches to talk to us we can so much respect with them. The other point I was mentioning is body language. Believe or not, this subject carries a lot of weight a meetings between coaches and administrators. Body language should be appropriate for the type of game you are working. For example, do not bring a varsity "style" to the junior high level. If you would like to talk more with me you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I would be happy to share more info with you. Good Luck with your career as an official.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
utex, are you asking for tips on improving your game on the court? Or are you asking how to move up? When you use phrases like being a team player, and ask about cliques, I wonder if you're asking for tips on negotiating the "political" waters of an official's organization.

Were you thinking particularly one way or the other? Or am I reading too much into your question?

Chuck