The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Pre-wrap around knee

This is what happened and this is what I did: B4(blue) has yellow prewrap around the knee . I tell her to remove it,Girl says its for her knee and the doctor says she needs to where it.after she takes it off she yells to the stands mom get my brace. The coach asks whats wrong and tell him no prewrap around the knee unless she has a doctors note or something from the state that says she can wear it. Mom never got the brace and even dressed for the V game with no brace or prewrap. One V official asked me what happened and I said she cant wear it becuz it wasnt the same color of the uniform and i considered it jewelry becuz she she had no medical or state note saying she can wear it.He said they can wear it. Was I right or wrong? I see both sides of the story. Its not a cast but at the same time why does she need it? Truth is I had her earlier this year and told her to take it off and she did with no complaints. Thanks guys!
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEohioref View Post
This is what happened and this is what I did: B4(blue) has yellow prewrap around the knee . I tell her to remove it,Girl says its for her knee and the doctor says she needs to where it.after she takes it off she yells to the stands mom get my brace. The coach asks whats wrong and tell him no prewrap around the knee unless she has a doctors note or something from the state that says she can wear it. Mom never got the brace and even dressed for the V game with no brace or prewrap. One V official asked me what happened and I said she cant wear it becuz it wasnt the same color of the uniform and i considered it jewelry becuz she she had no medical or state note saying she can wear it.He said they can wear it. Was I right or wrong? I see both sides of the story. Its not a cast but at the same time why does she need it? Truth is I had her earlier this year and told her to take it off and she did with no complaints. Thanks guys!
From my interpretation, the player should be allowed to wear it.

-Josh
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Thats the feed back I need, what is your interp?
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:01am
Do not give a damn!!

The rules on pre-wrap only apply to headbands (that go completely around their head), not things used for medical purposes. You are misinterpreting the rule. And certainly something to wrap a leg for some stability is not under the color restriction. You need to go back and read the new rule on the topic. You were completely wrong to prevent the player from playing with the pre-wrap and you are opening yourself up for some kind of liability to restrict such device. Pre-wrap is not a hard or leathery surface device that would be illegal under other rules. The girl has the right to play with that around their leg.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

just to make sure we are on the same page. Im speaking on the wrap the use aroung the head,that nylon stuff. I dont think its legal around the knee. But I will continue to look at the rule.wristbands or headwear is not legal around the knee.

Last edited by NEohioref; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 01:12am.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
just to make sure we are on the same page. Im speaking on the wrap the use aroung the head,that nylon stuff. I dont think its legal around the knee. But I will continue to look at the rule.wristbands or headwear is not legal around the knee.
Why ask the question if you're not going to accept the answer that is given The wristband rules are for items wore on the arms. The headband rules are for items wore around the head. The hair control device are for items that are wore to control the hair. Pre-wrap can be wore around the knee without color restrictions. This would be the same as sock color. If I had concerns about the item (which I highly doubt I would), I would ask the coach if it's being worn for a medical reason. If he replies, yes...Problem solved, it will be worn as long as it is not dangerous.

-Josh
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Josh You are correct and agree with u 100% Im not arguing. I just dont know what to call that nylon stuff.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Pre-wrap and Athletic Tape ?
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

but what if I consider it "For Show" Jewlery. What support to the knee does it offer? Like I said no medical use that I seen with no note. I just want more info on this..I see what u are saying no harm no foul..but whats the use? To me its a hair control device.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
but what if I consider it "For Show" Jewlery. What support to the knee does it offer? Like I said no medical use that I seen with no note. I just want more info on this..I see what u are saying no harm no foul..but whats the use? To me its a hair control device.
Jewelry can never be worn. Pre-wrap is not jewelry under the rules; neither are wristbands or headbands. The only information you need is what the New Rules says. And we are not telling you this without evidence. You are looking for something that is not there.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Rut, I see what you are saying now.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 02:04am
Administrator

Quote:

NEohioref:

Why are you making up rules. There is not rhyme or reason doing what you are doing to this girl. You were wrong in the first game you had with her and you were wrong in the second game you had her. It might not be jewelery, but the jewelery rule does not apply to it.

Pre-wrap is pre-wrap and it can have a medical reason when it is worn around the leg. Don't go looking for boogers. I can't believe you went down this road. As a NE Ohio basketball officical (member: Trumbull Co. Bkb. Off. Assn. since 1971; member: Lake Erie Dist. Bkb. Off. Assn, IAABO Bd. #55) I have always felt that the best H.S. basketball officials, as a whole district, are in the NE District and then you go down this road of lunacy.

MTD, Sr.

P.S.: The correct spelling of "becuz" is spelled "because."
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 04:27pm. Reason: 1st edit: Added P.S.; 2nd edit: Correct spelling of lunacy.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Pre-wrap below the knee

Many athletes, especially teens, wear pre-wrap below the knee for Osgood Schlatter's disease and other knee pain issues.

See Pre-wrap as a knee strap and see article here.

I can't tell you the officiating rules but I can tell you that it is used extensively for this medical purpose.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Same Reason My Daughter Never Uses Her Shift Key To Capitalize ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The correct spelling of "becuz" is spelled "because."
becuz, Y ??? Who sez ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 11:15am.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Equipment ...

NFHS Rule 3-5:
ART. 1 . . . The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment
or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate.
ART. 2 . . . Guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must meet the
following guidelines:
a. A guard, cast or brace made of hard and unyielding leather, plaster, pliable
(soft) plastic, metal or any other hard substance may not be worn on the
elbow, hand, finger, wrist or forearm; even though covered with soft
padding.
b. Hard and unyielding items (guards, casts, braces, etc.) on the upper arm or
shoulder must be padded.
c. Knee and ankle braces are permitted but all exposed hinges must be
covered. Most over-sleeves recommended by manufacturers are
acceptable. These braces may be padded or unpadded.
d. Must be worn for medical reasons.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)