The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Church League...Help me God!

This is my 1st post to the forum but have been browsing for a long time and have really enjoyed the expertise that most of you have.

This is my first year as a ref. I have ref'd (4) 7th-8th grade games so far. Loving it and realizing that I have A LOT to learn.

Now back on topic...

I am scheduled to ref some games for the local church league. I have been told by many that this is the worst league as far as sportmanship but it will be a GREAT learning experience for me. One guy even said "if you can tolerate the players in that league, you can handle any coach." I'm nervous. Now, to the actual question... What's the best way to handle arrogance and unsportsmanlike conduct that may come up. Should I immediately start throwing some T's in hope to get things settled down?

I've got some thick skin (i think) so I don't get my feelings hurt, I just want to make sure that ALL involved have a great time.

Thanks for the respected advise.

SK
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
This is my 1st post to the forum but have been browsing for a long time and have really enjoyed the expertise that most of you have.

This is my first year as a ref. I have ref'd (4) 7th-8th grade games so far. Loving it and realizing that I have A LOT to learn.

Now back on topic...

I am scheduled to ref some games for the local church league. I have been told by many that this is the worst league as far as sportmanship but it will be a GREAT learning experience for me. One guy even said "if you can tolerate the players in that league, you can handle any coach." I'm nervous. Now, to the actual question... What's the best way to handle arrogance and unsportsmanlike conduct that may come up. Should I immediately start throwing some T's in hope to get things settled down?

I've got some thick skin (i think) so I don't get my feelings hurt, I just want to make sure that ALL involved have a great time.

Thanks for the respected advise.

SK

Too many variables to answer this, but follow the "wave, warn, whack" philosophy.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I just want to make sure that ALL involved have a great time.
In most cases, this is simply not possible.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Ah yes, church league sports. The only brawls that begin with prayer! Put up with nothing unsporting. It's supposed to be a good time and foster Christian fellowship. I've seen it done extremely well and I've seen is done very very poorly! Good luck!
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Warn and wack, IMO. If you warn, don't warn the same person again.
Don't be afraid to skip the warn, either, if it's really bad.
Sometimes I wish I could go do one of these games.

Sometimes.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I understand where people are coming from but as a teacher, I really hate warnings. I have found in my classroom and on the court using directive statements work better. "You need to stop officiating."

If you warn, you better follow through that next time.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Church League

Are you doing an adult church league or a youth church league?

If you have done four games total, I would hope that you are NOT doing an adult league. If you are, get the earplugs out and go. Unless you have done many other games before getting licensed (outside the four you mentioned), you will likely will in over your head in this atmosphere. I can only recommend calling what you see. If you want to be invited back, I would not become a T-Machine -- after all, you are new and are prone to being not so good. Try to ignore the comments -- unless they are personal or involve profanity. Follow the three Ws. Good luck!!!
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Be calm, be professional, be patient, keep your cool.

When you've had enough, warn and then follow the warning with a T.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Ah yes, church league sports. The only brawls that begin with prayer! Put up with nothing unsporting. It's supposed to be a good time and foster Christian fellowship. I've seen it done extremely well and I've seen is done very very poorly! Good luck!
How do you know it's not Muslims?? Or Jews??
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 08:37pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I wish I could go do one of these games.
Did you want me to shoot you the assigners email? Be careful what we wish for
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 08:46pm
Ch1town

I like the advice given to you so far. From the description, it sounds like an adult league?? If so, as previously mentioned you will more than likely be in over your head
But don't fret, the good official welcomes a good challege

From my experiences, if you act like you know what you're doing most of the time the players think you know what you're doing. Hopefully they will "buy your act" & you may possibly catch less grief... being the new guy & all.

Be strong (but calm) with your calls, use your voice in a firm, confident manner. Use good mechanics (5 sec t/i, 10 sec b/c, etc). Talk to the players like grown men instead of kids... this is a different animal.

Quote:
What's the best way to handle arrogance and unsportsmanlike conduct that may come up. Should I immediately start throwing some T's in hope to get things settled down?
Arrogant players/coaches/partners... who cares! You cannot control that. Control what you can control.

Unsportsmanlike conduct must be dealt with, BUT (keep in mind) what's unsportsmanlike in 7th/8th grade games may/may not be unsportsmanlike worthy in adults games.

As previously mentioned, I wouldn't want to be Mr. T on your first night on the job, but at the same time don't take any crap either. With that said, less is more in our avocation but more so in that environment. If they argue a call, "I hear you. I understand. I'll look at at." have worked well for me, but in a youth game the players simply don't argue any calls with me
ie: T or not T worthy, depends on the level of play IMHO.

Hopefully, this opportunity will inspire you to grow as an official. I started out working kids games then progressed to adults, lower-level HS, varsity, and each new experience has fueled my passion for the craft! At the very least when you get back to your youth games, you should feel that it is easier to manage & your confidence should be way up.
BTW, welcome to the board!!
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Did you want me to shoot you the assigners email? Be careful what we wish for
Maybe we could do some off season stuff together. Since I don't really care if I get invited back, though, I'm likely to serve a lot of T.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Technical Fouls ...

Top Reasons To Not Give A Technical Foul
You can address a coach before it becomes a problem. A quiet word can go a long way in preventing a technical foul.
When coaches complain, ask yourself, is the call questionable, is the call wrong. If they have a legitimate gripe, then allow them some latitude. Be courteous. Do not argue. Be firm and fair.
If you know a coach is upset then move away from him or her, even if it means that you and your partner are not switching or rotating properly.
Warnings can be very effective in preventing situations from escalating. Don't tolerate a lot before a warning.
Lend a reasonable ear. Coaches like to be heard. If you ignore them then they become more frustrated and are more likely to lose control.
If an assistant is out of line, then you can speak to the head coach and ask them to help you out.
If a player is out of line then let the coach know. Tell them you've warned their player. That way if you do give a technical foul, then the coach isn't surprised. Most good coaches will speak to the player first.
If you have had a rough day and know your fuse is short, keep that in mind before you do anything rash.
Ask yourself, does the situation come under one of the top reasons to give a technical foul.
If necessary, give an initial strong warning. Let your partner know about the warning.

Top Reasons To Give A Technical Foul
There are many different factors to consider when deciding to give a technical foul. Generally, there are three areas of coach's behavior that need attention: when a coach makes it personal, when a coach draws attention to himself or herself, and when a coach's complaints are persistent.

Some technical fouls are easy. They are black and white situations that leave little room for negotiation:
Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar, or obscene.
A coach questions your integrity.
Inciting an undesirable crowd reaction.
A coach is embarrassing an official.
A coach or player has been warned and has not heeded the warning.
Leaving the confines of the coaching box and complaining.
A coach demonstrates displeasure with your partner and their back is turned.

Other technical fouls are not as black and white. In some situations, a warning may be appropriate before the technical foul is given:
A coach or player continually demonstrates signals or asks for calls.
If they have interfered with the game or your concentration, then they have usually gone too far.
If giving a technical will help give structure back to the game and if it will have a calming effect on things.

Top Ways To Give A Technical Foul
Calling a technical foul should be no different then calling any other foul. It is simply a rule that requires a penalty. Maintain a calm attitude, have poise and presence. Don’t personalize it. Don't embarrass the coach by being demonstrative.
Take your time. Don’t over react. Always sound the whistle and stop the clock with a foul signal. Signal the technical foul. Take a deep breath to calm yourself. Proceed to the reporting area, report the technical foul clearly to the table, and leave the area. Never look at a coach when you give a technical foul.
Confer with your partner. If the technical foul is charged to the head coach or bench personnel, have your partner inform the coach of the loss of the coaching box.
Explanations, it needed should be done by partner. Always explain technical fouls on players to coaches.

Proceed with the administration of the penalty. After technical fouls, put the ball in play immediately.
The calling official may want to stay away from the coach for a few minutes, even if it means not making a switch, or making an unneeded switch, after the administration of the technical foul penalty has been completed.
Because a coach has been penalized with a technical foul does not mean that the coach is allowed rebuttal time.
Make them earn the second technical foul. Don't be reluctant to give the second technical foul if it is warranted.

Original Source: The Greater Philadelphia Basketball Official's Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Always explain technical fouls on players to coaches when asked.
Fixed it for you.

Also, I think the list is really not applicable to church league or wreck league ball.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Are you doing an adult church league or a youth church league?

If you have done four games total, I would hope that you are NOT doing an adult league. If you are, get the earplugs out and go. Unless you have done many other games before getting licensed (outside the four you mentioned), you will likely will in over your head in this atmosphere. I can only recommend calling what you see. If you want to be invited back, I would not become a T-Machine -- after all, you are new and are prone to being not so good. Try to ignore the comments -- unless they are personal or involve profanity. Follow the three Ws. Good luck!!!

Yes this is adult men league. I am definitely looking forward to the challenge. I am excited about it, and I DO know that I don't have a lot of experience and that's why I want to take this league.

thanks