The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Clean This One Up ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50643-clean-one-up.html)

Chess Ref Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:47pm

Clean This One Up ?

i show up for the last 2 games of the local Holiday Classic. Tourneys been going on for 67 million years or so. It's a fun little tourney and i try to make the last couple of games every year.

In the 5th/6th place game they had the following sitch.

The Home team takes a time out. After the time out they apparently put 6 players on the court. Neither official catches it. They make a three. They then steal the inbounds and make another three. Then they steal the ball again and make a lay-up. At this point the refs catch that they have 6 players on the court...

Any thoughts on the clean up. The refs came up with take the points off the board and issued a T for 6 players on the court.

My thinking is the points count, shoot the T, and eat the grief.

What say you ?

fullor30 Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 563423)
i show up for the last 2 games of the local Holiday Classic. Tourneys been going on for 67 million years or so. It's a fun little tourney and i try to make the last couple of games every year.

The Home team takes a time out. After the time out they apparently put 6 players on the court. Neither official catches it. They make a three. They then steal the inbounds and make another three. Then they steal the ball again and make a lay-up. At this point the refs catch that they have 6 players on the court...

Any thoughts on the clean up. The refs came up with take the points off the board and issued a T for 6 players on the court.

What say you ?

What say you?

You should have been on the crew.

referee99 Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:54pm

I say you are correct. Plain and simple.

grunewar Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:56pm

Quote:

Tourneys been going on for 67 million years or so.

What say you ?

I say we need to ask MTD, Mark, and Jurrasic what the first game was like! ;)

Chess Ref Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 563425)
What say you?

You should have been on the crew.

Thats what I try and tell the assignor. But he believes he knows what he is doing. :)

No seriously that level of game is probably a little out of my reach at this point. But I am a pretty competent Girls Varsity ref. :cool:

BktBallRef Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:58pm

Quote:

What say you ?

That's all you can do. My guess is that crew will, and should, have to eat a lot of grief.

muxbule Thu Jan 01, 2009 01:03pm

Points count, shoot the T. Nothing supports taking points off the board; penalized when recognized.

Adam Thu Jan 01, 2009 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by muxbule (Post 563436)
Points count, shoot the T. Nothing supports taking points off the board; penalized when recognized.

Exactly; if they didn't see it earlier, they had no idea the player had been in there the whole time. For all the officials know, the player came out after the last layup.

I could see making this video reviewable at the appropriate levels (NCAA and NBA) and allowing the officials to cancel the points scored by the offending team.

BillyMac Thu Jan 01, 2009 01:27pm

And, No, I'm Not Shemp ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 563429)
I say we need to ask MTD, Mark, and Jurrasic what the first game was like!

Also known as Moe, Larry, and Curly?

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 01, 2009 01:44pm

This is the same situation that happened in the Portland - Boston NBA game the other night (see appropriate thread). Everything that happens before the violation is discovered counts. Of course, the Blazer TV commentators got it wrong.

BTW - I'm Curly.
Knock knock
Who's there?
New York
New York who?
Nyork, nyork, nyork

I posted on a thread a while ago that Curly was actually a decent HS basketball player - not kidding. Read it somewhere reliable.

fullor30 Thu Jan 01, 2009 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 563430)
Thats what I try and tell the assignor. But he believes he knows what he is doing. :)

No seriously that level of game is probably a little out of my reach at this point. But I am a pretty competent Girls Varsity ref. :cool:

If you're a competent girls ref, you're a competent boys ref. Don't want to hijack thread but that's just not true.

JRutledge Thu Jan 01, 2009 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 563473)
If you're a competent girls ref, you're a competent boys ref. Don't want to hijack thread but that's just not true.

And whether you are a competent Girl's Official or not, is not the point in the first place. This was obviously lesser experienced (or not very good) officials that misapplied the rule in this situation.

Peace

Adam Thu Jan 01, 2009 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 563473)

Three words:
tongue in cheek

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jan 01, 2009 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 563444)
Also known as Moe, Larry, and Curly?

I am Curly, for the obvious connection, :D.

MTD, Sr.

fullor30 Thu Jan 01, 2009 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 563481)
Three words:
tongue in cheek

Not mine........