The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Nah -- that T stood and the refs were told to not do that again by their superiors
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I like to think that that little bit of gray is necessary to be an effective official. But once again, before I am jumped on for expressing my opinion, by rule you are supported to call a T in this case, but an argument can be made to NOT call the T and I fall into that camp.
Yes, but at some point one has to say that he is too far out of the box. He wasn't 2 steps out of the box towards the endline requesting a timeout, he was on the court and halfway across it. He was way out of the box, it was too far to let it go.

The other problem is he was actually on the court all the way out in the middle of it. What if the official didn't see him and administered the throw in and play was live while he was out in the middle of the floor? It is one thing to leave the box and move along the sideline out of bounds but it is totally different moving onto the court where one may interfere with play.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
Yes, but at some point one has to say that he is too far out of the box. He wasn't 2 steps out of the box towards the endline requesting a timeout, he was on the court and halfway across it. He was way out of the box, it was too far to let it go.

The other problem is he was actually on the court all the way out in the middle of it. What if the official didn't see him and administered the throw in and play was live while he was out in the middle of the floor? It is one thing to leave the box and move along the sideline out of bounds but it is totally different moving onto the court where one may interfere with play.
I am not saying to NOT give a T -- I am just saying that I would NOT GIVE a T in this case.

Also you are throwing in a "what if" the official didnt see him -- once again game awareness. If both officials dont see a coach jumping and screaming and hollering for a TO at half court then I dont really know what to say.