The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

NCAA: Using monitor. Blood. Throw-in

I just attended a Saint Louis University basketball game. Lead official calls a foul, but did not indicate if it was an Intentional foul. All three came over to the scorers table and viewed the replay to determine if it should be deemed Intentional. I was two rows behind the table. It was too bad that they turned to monitor towards the court so all of the officials could see the play. Me, nor the spectators, got to see the replay.
Is this new? Viewing the replay monitor to determine Intentional?

Prior to the mens game was the SLU womens game. A1 is bleeding. Team gets 20 seconds to repair the blood problem, A1 stays in the game without having to take a Time Out.

One last comment/Question. Throw-in mechanic for NCAAW. Front court Sideline throw-in where the Throw-in spot is below the Free Throw line. Is it proper for the Lead official to bounce the ball to the player? Is this also acceptable in NCAAM?

That's all
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:19am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Prior to the mens game was the SLU womens game. A1 is bleeding. Team gets 20 seconds to repair the blood problem, A1 stays in the game without having to take a Time Out.

One last comment/Question. Throw-in mechanic for NCAAW. Front court Sideline throw-in where the Throw-in spot is below the Free Throw line. Is it proper for the Lead official to bounce the ball to the player? Is this also acceptable in NCAAM?

That's all
These are both correct by NCAA-W mechanics and rules.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 08:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I just attended a Saint Louis University basketball game. Lead official calls a foul, but did not indicate if it was an Intentional foul. All three came over to the scorers table and viewed the replay to determine if it should be deemed Intentional. I was two rows behind the table. It was too bad that they turned to monitor towards the court so all of the officials could see the play. Me, nor the spectators, got to see the replay.
Is this new? Viewing the replay monitor to determine Intentional?
You sure they weren't reviewing to determine a flagrant foul?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You sure they weren't reviewing to determine a flagrant foul?
Right -- flagrant (men only) or a fight, or to determine who should shoot the FTs

(there are other options / requirements for using the monitor, but none that seem relevant to the situation)
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Nope. I could hear them talk amongst each other determining if it was Intentional. Like I mentioned in the post, If it was called 'Intentional' in the beginning he would have been stronger in the calling/reporting of the foul. The lead official just called the foul, then got together with the other officials. The had a quick side chat before reporting the foul to the table. Once he got to the table he requested the monitor to watch the replay.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Here's a quote from the rulebook Rule 2-13-2. They may not use the monitor to determine whether a foul was intentional or not.

Art 2. Officials may use such available equipment only in the following
situations:
a. Free Throws.
1. Determine who shall attempt a free throw(s) when there is uncertainty.
2. Determine whether a player who was fouled on his or her unsuccessful field goal try, at or near the three-point line, shall attempt either two or three free throws.
3. Determine whether the wrong player was permitted to attempt a free throw as per 2-12.1.c.
4. Determine whether a player was permitted to attempt a free throw at the wrong basket as per 2-12.1.d.
b. Scoring.
[snip]
c. Timing.
[snip]
d. (Men) A determination if a flagrant foul occurred. When it is determined that a flagrant foul was not committed, no other penalty may be assessed.
[snip]
Art. 5. The officials shall use such available equipment to determine whether a fight occurred and the individuals who participated or left the bench area.
Art. 6. The officials shall not use such available equipment for judgment calls such as:
a. Determine who committed a foul or whether a foul occurred. Exception: (Men) flagrant foul
b. Determine whether basket interference or goaltending occurred.
c. Determine whether a violation occurred.
d. Whether the ball was released before the sounding of the shot-clock horn, except as in 2-13.3.b.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's all
In NCAAW the lead's primary begins at the free throw line extended to the side line, we do it a little different than NCAAM & H.S.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Bounce from Lead

The bounce pass for a throw in below the FT line extended is also a men's mechanic as well. The biggest difference in NCAA W and M's on this is the chop of the clock. The men only chop from trail on a side line throw in. In women's the trail always chop the throw in when lead is administering.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In NCAAW the lead's primary begins at the free throw line extended to the side line, we do it a little different than NCAAM & H.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
The bounce pass for a throw in below the FT line extended is also a men's mechanic as well. The biggest difference in NCAA W and M's on this is the chop of the clock. The men only chop from trail on a side line throw in. In women's the trail always chop the throw in when lead is administering.
I was talking about the primary being different from NCAAM & HS - in women's the trail does always chop the clock when the lead is administering (in the front court) - there are quite a few differences in mechanics.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Ncaa

both the occurances in the womens game are correct - there is 20 seconds to fix the bleed ing player without a timeout, and the end line official does administer the ball on the low side line inbounds. the trail has the inbound though.

As for the intentional foul - the intentional does not have to be given originally, the foul can be upgraded to intentional after discussion when determined that the contact was excessive. I do not have the guidelines present for the use of a monitor, but that doesn't seem right to me, you must review if their could have been a fight, you can review do determine if flagrant.

Maybe that is what they were doing trying to determine between intentional and flagrant?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

The word 'Flagrant' was never mentioned. They said they needed the reply to see if it should be intentional. The next best thing I can do is go to the next SLU game and talk to the table personel