The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

4 ot

JV boys holiday tournament, consolation game. Unionville down by 8 with a minute left in regulation, down 5 with 12 seconds left, hit a three, stole the inbounds pass and scored. I have a timeout request and look up and see 0.8 but it doesn't get stopped before time runs off. Everyone thinks we are going to OT but I get the time put back up. Avon Grove throws the long inbound pass too high and hits the ceiling. So Unionville with a chance to win in regulation but they fumble the inbounds pass so OT.

Late in second OT, Unionville hits a three to tie it again.

In third OT, I call a foul inside and send Unionville to the line down 2 with 2.2 seconds left. Of course the big man knocks them both down.

No scoring in fourth OT until Unionville sticks back a miss with about 1.5 to go and that's it.

Longest game I've ever been part of. Both coaches were using their OT TOs every OT. Of course I had plans to go with my wife to my parents' house afterward for dinner so by the time I got home, showered, and got over there we were more than an hour late.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 11:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

You're in Padgett's bad books now.

And in BillyMac's good books.

I hope you had fun. It sounds as though there was opportunity for the Avon Grove (incorrectly) to quip about the officiating. Did s/he do any of that?
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Next time you'll follow Padgett's advice.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
In third OT, I call a foul inside and send Unionville to the line down 2 with 2.2 seconds left. Of course the big man knocks them both down.
And your partner then discretely slapped you upside the head, right?
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 09:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
No scoring in fourth OT until Unionville sticks back a miss with about 1.5 to go and that's it.
Wow, 3:58.5 with no points? Not even a free throw? That's unusual, unless they held the ball out and just let the clock run. (Even that's unusual. )
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 11:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Wow, 3:58.5 with no points? Not even a free throw? That's unusual, unless they held the ball out and just let the clock run. (Even that's unusual. )
Had even worse in a JV girls game. Roughly 8:00 with no scoring.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 11:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Overtime Versus In-Laws ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
You're in Padgett's bad books now.
Let's wait for Mark Padgett to comment before we jump to any conclusions. He would have to weigh the negative aspect of an overtime game, against the positive aspect of spending less time with the in-laws. This might be an exception to his rule. We will all be waiting for his post with bated breath.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Maybe two possessions each way. Each team was trying to control the tempo and slow it down.

And the coaches were both fairly quiet. All in all a fun game!
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 02:30pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Wow. Back to the 70s with all those jump balls. Thanks for reminding me.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 02:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Bring The Coin ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Back to the 70s with all those jump balls. Thanks for reminding me.
And thanks for reminding me to put in one last 2008 plug for eliminating the last jump ball left over from a different era in time.

Monday night, as the umpire I missed the jumper tip, and then catch the tip. I was too busy watching the eight nonjumpers, but it's still not a good excuse. My partner, the referee, told me that by the time he put the whistle back in his mouth, he thought it was to late, not by rule, but just way too late to call the violation. None of the coaches, players, or fans complained. I will admit that I'm not as familiar with all the jump ball requirements as I was when we were having several jump balls in each game. Again, not a good excuse, but this method of starting a game should be done away with. Dr. Naismith originally had jump balls after every goal, then we progressed to only having jump balls to start periods, and to make the ball live after held ball situations, and now we only have jump balls to start the game, and extra periods. The natural progression is to now do away with all jump balls. We no longer use Dr. Naismith's rule regarding ending the game in a tie, or in sudden death, so why keep his jump ball rule? He is more likely to roll over in his grave due to what NBA players are now allowed to do with their pivot foot, than he is to roll over because we did away with his precious jump ball.

Now, do you want me to tell you what I really think?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 28, 2008 at 02:54pm.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

We should place the ball in the center of the court and have the two teams line up at opposing end lines, and then let them charge for it.

That would increase safety in the game.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 03:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can't Make This Stuff Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
We should place the ball in the center of the court and have the two teams line up at opposing end lines, and then let them charge for it.
Isn't that they way they started football games in that short-lived XFL, featuring Rod "He Hate Me" Smart.

Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 03:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And thanks for reminding me to put in one last 2008 plug for eliminating the last jump ball left over from a different era in time.

Monday night, as the umpire I missed the jumper tip, and then catch the tip. I was too busy watching the eight nonjumpers, but it's still not a good excuse. My partner, the referee, told me that by the time he put the whistle back in his mouth, he thought it was to late, not by rule, but just way too late to call the violation. None of the coaches, players, or fans complained. I will admit that I'm not as familiar with all the jump ball requirements as I was when we were having several jump balls in each game. Again, not a good excuse, but this method of starting a game should be done away with. Dr. Naismith originally had jump balls after every goal, then we progressed to only having jump balls to start periods, and to make the ball live after held ball situations, and now we only have jump balls to start the game, and extra periods. The natural progression is to now do away with all jump balls. We no longer use Dr. Naismith's rule regarding ending the game in a tie, or in sudden death, so why keep his jump ball rule? He is more likely to roll over in his grave due to what NBA players are now allowed to do with their pivot foot, than he is to roll over because we did away with his precious jump ball.

Now, do you want me to tell you what I really think?
Sorry, BM I gotta disagree with you here.

In fact, I hate this suggestion.

APAs take less time than jump ball, so if your concern is that the one jump ball takes more time than a coin toss, then I say that the time difference is measured in under 30 seconds. Hardly worth the change. On the other hand, keeping the jump ball is consistent with other aspects of basketball: height is rewarded for the better chance at rebounds, and therefore the better chance at securing the first possession. But, like any rebound, it doesn't guarantee the first possession.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 03:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I would not go to a coin flip. I would have the visitors have the first inbound.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
If OT's are a continuation of the 4th qtr and everything is carried over, why not start OT's with APA? I still like starting the game with jump ball. But we have really hijacked this thread with this conversation.