Thread: 4 ot
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 03:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And thanks for reminding me to put in one last 2008 plug for eliminating the last jump ball left over from a different era in time.

Monday night, as the umpire I missed the jumper tip, and then catch the tip. I was too busy watching the eight nonjumpers, but it's still not a good excuse. My partner, the referee, told me that by the time he put the whistle back in his mouth, he thought it was to late, not by rule, but just way too late to call the violation. None of the coaches, players, or fans complained. I will admit that I'm not as familiar with all the jump ball requirements as I was when we were having several jump balls in each game. Again, not a good excuse, but this method of starting a game should be done away with. Dr. Naismith originally had jump balls after every goal, then we progressed to only having jump balls to start periods, and to make the ball live after held ball situations, and now we only have jump balls to start the game, and extra periods. The natural progression is to now do away with all jump balls. We no longer use Dr. Naismith's rule regarding ending the game in a tie, or in sudden death, so why keep his jump ball rule? He is more likely to roll over in his grave due to what NBA players are now allowed to do with their pivot foot, than he is to roll over because we did away with his precious jump ball.

Now, do you want me to tell you what I really think?
Sorry, BM I gotta disagree with you here.

In fact, I hate this suggestion.

APAs take less time than jump ball, so if your concern is that the one jump ball takes more time than a coin toss, then I say that the time difference is measured in under 30 seconds. Hardly worth the change. On the other hand, keeping the jump ball is consistent with other aspects of basketball: height is rewarded for the better chance at rebounds, and therefore the better chance at securing the first possession. But, like any rebound, it doesn't guarantee the first possession.