The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
So you're saying you planned it that way? Now that is game awareness! I wish I had that skill level, I will work on it.

-Josh
Okay I left out the part about the RED FACE durring the call
and the black and blue back side after the game.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

GV late in the first quarter. We had a foul in the backcourt and I was the new trail. While my partner reported the foul the player tossed the ball to me. We were going to the other end to administer a 1-1. As players were moving to the other end, my partner finished reporting and turned to look for the ball. I moved into what I thought was an open lane and tossed the ball underhanded to him. Hit a girl (about 15 feet away) square in the back with my errant pass. I felt like I had just kicked my own daughter in the shin. I felt terrible and couldn't apologize enough. As we left the floor for half-time, I heard someone call me by name and holler "Nice Pass"

Oh well, I learned a valuable lesson.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Oh well, I learned a valuable lesson.
You will never be the shill at the milk bottle toss for the carnival??
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
You will never be the shill at the milk bottle toss for the carnival??
Thankfully, I wasn't officiating a dart tournament
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I haven't had anything tragic happen but this Saturday I was doing a GV game and about the middle of the 2nd quarter the home team puts a shot up and it get wedged between the rim and the backboard. In a boys game, some boy would show his "superior masculinity" and jump to knock it out but we were lacking that (from the players, not the officials Beat you to the joke) on the court. One of the equipment people threw my partner another ball to dislodge the first one. He tosses it to me and I attempt to knock the ball loose. After three tries, I was unsuccessful at freeing that poor little ball I hit the stupid thing squarely all three times from underneath but it wouldn't pop loose. Of course than one of the players came and launched the ball as hard as she could and it came loose for her on the first try. I was a little embarrassed but, most of all, I learned to let the player do it the first time and stay out of the situation

-Josh
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Great topic. Always need to learn not to take ourselves too seriously.

A bunch of incidents come to mind. One time my first year, I made a backcourt violation call on a girl who had dribbled over the volleyball (but not the basketball division) line and then went "back." I double checked with my partner and then quickly put the ball back into play.
But did you put it back in play giving it to the wrong team and then call something cheap "going the other way".
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

A year or two ago, boys JH game. Small gym with bleachers on all 4 sides and my association evaluator in the stands. I'm trail transitioning to lead on a fast break.

As I run down the sideline looking over my shoulder at the ball handler and the kid trying to catch him, I temporarily forget that I'm running toward the endline with the cheerleaders. The defender grabs a handful of jersey from behind, so an easy call. Just as I hit my whistle, I also plow into a JH cheerleader and we both end up in the front row on top of some very surprised parents.

The worst part for me was, that in the confusion of getting up and making sure the cheerleader is unhurt, I forgot the # of the player committing the foul. Luckily, my partner had my back!
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Doing a JV girl’s game a few years back. Get to the locker room and I discover I forgot my pants! I am now panicking realizing my house is about 20 minutes away and I would not have enough time to drive home. Therefore I call home and no answer but I leave a desperate message on the machine to call me back. (Can you image what the wife thought when she heard this one?) Well I tell the AD my situation and I tell her I’ll have to wear what I have on. She said OK because there is nothing else I can do. Back in the locker room my partner shows up and he has extra pants but about 4 inches smaller in the waist. So forget about it. So I wear my charcoal gray flecked pants with cuffs and do the game. My partner tried to reassure me that all will be OK and just go out and have a good game. Well I was a bit self-conscious at first but soon got into the game and it turned out it was the easiest and best game I every did (in my humble opinion) in six years! Go figure!

Since then I triple check my bag for all my items and think back how lucky I was I wasn’t wearing my khaki chinos that day.
Edit/Delete Message
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Ahh...so many to choose from, so little time...

First one, I'm at T, watching a competitive matchup on-ball. A1 starts to dribble, and out of the corner of my eye I see B2 move to get into position to double-team. Sure enough, another player runs into B2 knocking them to the floor, I know they didn't maintain legal guarding position, so I blow the whistle and signal a great blocking foul. Except...the player that B2 ran into was their own teammate. (Damn.) Quickly explain to partners and coaches it was an IW, gave the ball back to A, and away we go. Except it took a few plays for my red face to go away (and my partners to stop chuckling).

Another one, I'm fighting a cold, complete with sniffles, runny nose, etc. At one point, I feel a sneeze coming on during a live ball. Don't want to miss anything...hold it back...play coming towards me...trying not to sneeze...ppffftt(tweet)phfftt. Maybe no one heard that? Nope, the players kinda stop, partners are looking around, finally they all look at me as I'm trying to wipe off my whistle. Yuck.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 09:39pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

A couple of of years ago my friend's MS Boys team is scrimming a nearby CYO team at the CYO team's gym. I got a chuckle when one of the home players thought I was a player, as I overheard "One of the [school name] players is here and he has a beard!"

Before the scrimmage, the coaches agreed to play man-to-man defense. The home team's assistant coaches and myself served as the officials. At the start of one of the later periods (4th or 5th), the home team goes into a zone defense after the opening throw-in. I eventually whistle them for an illegal defense, only to be told the coaches decided to play zone that period.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Here's another one of mine. I was running down the side line on a fast break in a smaaaaalllll gym (Boys JV) looking back over my shoulder, when I steamrolled some kid who just came into the gym with a big bag of popcorn, My partner who was T said all he saw was a big cloud of popcorn and then me going head over heels. That one hurt a little.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

2 come to mind.

First was a boys V Tournament doubleheader and I had gotten food poisoning about 3 hours before game time. I was in the bathroom until 2 minutes before tip. Then at halftime until the warning horn, then between games same story, and at halftime of the 2nd game. I carried Immodium with me after that for a while. My evaluation said great job under extreme duress!

Other was a V game and I was U1 all ready to chop for the tip when I reached up to put my whistle in my mouth and ... no whistle. Lucky for me the locker room was outside through 2 gates and on the other side of the pool. When I ran back in, everyone gave me a standing O -- thanks to my partner. Since then I have saved double digits of partners heading out of the locker room without their whistles by asking.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Ahh...so many to choose from, so little time...

First one, I'm at T, watching a competitive matchup on-ball. A1 starts to dribble, and out of the corner of my eye I see B2 move to get into position to double-team. Sure enough, another player runs into B2 knocking them to the floor, I know they didn't maintain legal guarding position, so I blow the whistle and signal a great blocking foul. Except...the player that B2 ran into was their own teammate. (Damn.) Quickly explain to partners and coaches it was an IW, gave the ball back to A, and away we go. Except it took a few plays for my red face to go away (and my partners to stop chuckling).

Another one, I'm fighting a cold, complete with sniffles, runny nose, etc. At one point, I feel a sneeze coming on during a live ball. Don't want to miss anything...hold it back...play coming towards me...trying not to sneeze...ppffftt(tweet)phfftt. Maybe no one heard that? Nope, the players kinda stop, partners are looking around, finally they all look at me as I'm trying to wipe off my whistle. Yuck.
WOW!...M&M...those are damn funny!. I spit coffee on my computer screen reading those. Priceless!
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Boys 12U game....Administering FTs ...I was the T...I was set in my spot...during the 1st shot, table motioned to ask me something...I walked toward the table to be able to hear them. As we finish up our convo, my P is waiting for me to get set up again and I'm now moving back to my spot but I'm doing the good ol' backpedal...kid on the outside decides he's going to occupy a lane space and his path to the basket intersected my backwards path to my spot and we clipped feet....."Down goes Fraizer!" ...I made a nice butt slide and popped back up real quick hoping nobody would see but...several parents asking me if I was ok was the tell tale sign I'd been made
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I posted this a few weeks back, but I am STILL hearing about this from people around town.

JV boys game. My wife, kids, and her sister and her husband are there. I'm on the sideline getting ready to hand the ball to a player for a throw-in. All of a sudden I hear, "Daddy, I can blow my whistle like you blow your whistle!" I turn around and my son (just turned 4) is standing there with this little train that he has that is actually a whistle; sh*t eating grin on his face. All the players are standing there dumbfounded and the crowd busts up laughing. My brother in law retrieves my son and I look at the players and all I can think to say is, "Don't worry, he's my kid." We all get a chuckle and go on with the game.

All I could think after that was "Damn, I'm glad it wasn't during a live ball.........."