The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

What can I do better this year?

Tis the season when we are all thinking of our New Years Resolutions, (mine is not to pick a fight with more people than I have bullets in my clip), and we have had about a month or so of the season to see what we want to work on for the rest of the the year, and in the future.

So lets post some things that we can work on to be better officials in the future, and maybe get some helpful (possibly serious) suggestions for improvment from others.

My big thing thus far is being more of an R (CC) even when I am not assigned as such. Practice the mentality, the managment skills, the game managment, and provide a real leadership role where it is needed. I have had three games early this year where I think that situations might have been better handled - through Communication or crew information, and/or better leadership on the floor.

This can be delicate but it is important in moving up as Assignors are highering "R's" (CC's) not just officials.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Speed kills.

Officiate smarter, not harder.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

As has been a focus all season, I'm going to focus on having a more patient whistle. Therefore, I can see more clearly the beginning, middle, and end of each play. Early in the season I found myself with a quick whistle and almost anticipating calls that may not have quite developed as I thought they would have. I've learned this year that a late whistle is easier to explain than a phantom foul/violation. If there is minimal contact and it didn't necessarily affect the shooter/dribbler, it might be better to pass on it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

-Josh
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I going to try to focus on not eating so much over the holidays that my pants shrink again.

I hate when they do that!
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to be better at dealing with coaches, that is why I have started a thread about it.

I get wired(excited) up during games and need to be more calm. A coach asked me a question about a call and when I thought I just answered it, he said "you don't need to yell", it was at that moment that I realiZed that i have to walk over to the coach and talk calmly.

I have received a number of good ideas from the experienced officials, now I plan to practice them.