The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The "Flop" on an Upswing? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50489-flop-upswing.html)

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 22, 2008 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man In Blue (Post 560737)
I think the flop is a place the rules committee should look at the severity of the penalty. Just like they did making it a violation to leave the playing court. They HAD to make the change because officials didn't have the testicular fortitude to enforce the penalty.

Too bad that we as officials decide to enforce our rules rather than the Fed rule book.

Too bad the Fed's basic MO is to take fairly minor infractions, and assign them such disproportionately severe penalties that nobody with any amount of perspective is willing to call it. If we forced the Fed to change the penalty for leaving the floor through our collective unwillingness to enforce their rule...

GOOD FOR US!!!

BTW, how many T's did you call for leaving the floor during those dark days, Man In Blue? I called exactly one. It took only once to understand that a six point swing was an unacceptably severe penalty to apply for a violation no more egregious than a throw-in violation or traveling.

LDUB Mon Dec 22, 2008 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 560750)
It took only once to understand that a six point swing was an unacceptably severe penalty to apply for a violation no more egregious than a throw-in violation or traveling.

It is not your job to decide the egregiousness of anything. It is your job to enforce the rules; this is no different than officials ignoring bench decorum POEs or refusing to enforce uniform rules.

Do you work football in the SEC? Yep, the crew called the wrong foul which resulted in a smaller penalty...it seems to have been done intentionally, not just a rule misapplication.

YouTube - Sideline Interference

Adam Mon Dec 22, 2008 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 560783)
It is not your job to decide the egregiousness of anything. It is your job to enforce the rules; this is no different than officials ignoring bench decorum POEs or refusing to enforce uniform rules.

Do you work football in the SEC? Yep, the crew called the wrong foul which resulted in a smaller penalty...it seems to have been done intentionally, not just a rule misapplication.

I believe this is accepted practice in football.

That said, why don't you answer BITS' question. How many did you call when it was a technical. The same problem applied to what is now the excessive swinging of the elbows violation. It was rarely, if ever, called when it was a technical.

Do you call a T on every flop you see?

It was one of those calls that (if done repeatedly) could end an officiating career due to the severity of the penalty.

zebraman Mon Dec 22, 2008 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 560567)
A veteran gave me a great piece of advice when I pass on a foul in this situation. He told me, after the play's over and the defender's on the floor looking pitiful, look right at him and wave for him to get up (open palm facing up, arm moving low to high).

:eek: At one state tournament I was working, we had our referee meeting on the night before the first day of games. The official's supervisor specifically mentioned that an official had given the "get up" signal the previous year and that he had better not ever see it again. For what it's worth.

zeedonk Mon Dec 22, 2008 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 560600)

Oh, so THAT's where all the Duke players went- to Europe to play soccer where they love the master thespians! At least Battie was good at it...

God, I hate flopping. Just a personal disgust...

Z

Rich Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:37pm

Quote:

It's our job to work within the parameters set by the officiating community we work in.

BillyMac Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:48pm

She Was The Best Flopper On The Team ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 560600)

Hey, my daughter got a college scholarship doing Academy Award winning performances like these. Worked in high school soccer, didn't work as well in college soccer, officials allowed rougher play, but she still got a lot of calls her way.

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:21pm

Quote:

Snaq's is a fair question. How many T's did you call for leaving the floor? How many did you call for excessively swinging elbows? Did you ever pass on a single violation of either of these rules? If so, how do you explain your hypocritical behavior?

Crickets? That's the best you can do?

Skarecrow Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeedonk (Post 560835)
Oh, so THAT's where all the Duke players went- to Europe to play soccer where they love the master thespians! At least Battie was good at it...

God, I hate flopping. Just a personal disgust...

Z

the flop video is hilarious....I would have to change sports.....absolutely hilarious.....