The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Just a question on the snow and ice: We here in the Northwest are experiencing a rare and sustained snowfall. My husband and I drove home from Seattle tonight and had a problem with ice building up on the windshield wipers so that they wouldn't meet the glass.

How is this avoided?

Rita
By parking the car in the garage.

You may already be doing this.....but I find that it helps to keep the heat on full blast, as hot as it can go, and directed fully out the defrost vents. If the car gets too hot, then open a window a little bit.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Chicago Suburban Basketball

Last Tuesday (12/16), it started with some light snow about 2:30p, so I decided to leave work early (@2:40) for the 30-mile trip that should take 1-hour max. I was scheduled for double header Frosh A tourney, tip-off at 5pm and 6:30pm. I thought leaving 2:20 before game time should be plenty of time to get me there in time to dress and pre-game with my partner.

My trip, well, let's say it was a little bit of a challenge. By 4pm I had 23-miles yet to go, 7-miles in 90-minutes. Then things broke loose and it the next 16-miles only took 45-minutes; then the last 7-miles took just over 120-minutes. I called the school at 4pm, again at 4:30pm and then at 4:55pm the AD called me and said, drive safely, we know you're making a valiant effort, but your partner is here so we are going to start. We'll pay you for both games when you get here.

Got there in time for the second half of the second game. Total trip 4hours 40 minutes to go 30-miles. Average speed a blistering 6.42 MPH. My GPS tracks avg. MPH and the last 7-miles we blazed at 3.5 MPH, needless to say gas mileage bit the big one on this trip.

Fortunately trip home after the game was only 5-miles and took about 20-minutes.

And they say we do this for the money.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same here, but it's my mother. She thinks it's just for the money. I've given up explaining it to her.
I hear that all the time.

When I explain the true story:
  1. Mileage
  2. Uniforms
  3. State Licensing
  4. Mileage
  5. Getting abused by every adult who thinks I'm rooting for the other team
  6. Two Local Association Dues
  7. Mileage
  8. Getting abused by every father who thinks I ripped off his little girl because I called travelling
  9. Did I Mention Mileage?

they look at me like I'm crazy.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 08:19am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Oh, rub it in why dontcha!

As I've said before, our commutes here in NVA and DC are bad enough without weather problems! Thankfully, they will close schools and cancel games when bad weather is TWO STATES AWAY and just "moving in this direction."
I feel your pain. I lived in the DC area and went as far as Bluefield WV! Each year I had one trip that had me nervous to say the least.

You ever try officiating when you have a 5 hour drive ahead of you and you know there is going to be about four inches of fresh snow on your car when you're done? Focus is hard to come by in those situations.

Let's not even talk about the fact that traffic in DC is rough on a sunny 75 degree day. Bad weather makes it harder.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdesigner View Post
My trip, well, let's say it was a little bit of a challenge. By 4pm I had 23-miles yet to go, 7-miles in 90-minutes. Then things broke loose and it the next 16-miles only took 45-minutes; then the last 7-miles took just over 120-minutes.
This would absolutely kill me!

I had my first V game of the yr last week and left 2 1/2 hrs early for a 26 mile journey. Took me well over an hr to get there and the second half of the trip opened up like your middle portion.

I work mostly JV/MS games and, unlike my partners, still like to arrive 45 min early for a game and like you give myself plenty of time. When your situation happens to me and I start cutting it remotely close I am NO FUN in that car (minor road rage).....frustrating as he!! But, as everyone has said, that's why we get paid the big money!
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
By parking the car in the garage.

You may already be doing this.....but I find that it helps to keep the heat on full blast, as hot as it can go, and directed fully out the defrost vents. If the car gets too hot, then open a window a little bit.
Didn't work but thanks.

Rita
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Just a question on the snow and ice: We here in the Northwest are experiencing a rare and sustained snowfall. My husband and I drove home from Seattle tonight and had a problem with ice building up on the windshield wipers so that they wouldn't meet the glass.

How is this avoided?

Rita
Although I am now in Phoenix, I used to live in Madison and know exactly what Rich is talking about. In this case Rita, opening the window and grabbing the wiper at the precise moment it is closes to you, you lift it and let it smack the windshield. Will usually free the built up ice. Once cleaned, keep the defrost heat on to minimize build up.

Last edited by Mregor; Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 05:16pm.