The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Interesting backcourt violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50428-interesting-backcourt-violation.html)

AKOFL Sat Dec 20, 2008 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 560088)
No try, no try-release, team control continues.

If he statred his shooting motion he can be fouled on the shot even if the ball is knocked off his hand, not released for a try. Wouldn't this aply in this sit. He had shoolting motion so it is a try even if the ball is knocked off his hand and not "released"

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKOFL (Post 560115)
If he statred his shooting motion he can be fouled on the shot even if the ball is knocked off his hand, not released for a try. Wouldn't this aply in this sit. He had shoolting motion so it is a try even if the ball is knocked off his hand and not "released"

In my opinion, this try ended before it was released. I could be wrong, though.

referee99 Sat Dec 20, 2008 04:46pm

4.12.3 Team control continues until:
a. the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.

I would surmise that since (in my example) the try (which was indeed a try) was never in flight, team control is not relinquished.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 20, 2008 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 560135)

I would surmise that since (in my example) the try (which was indeed a try) was never in flight, team control is not relinquished.

Agreed -- but give the benefit of the doubt to the shooter (that is, it was a blocked try instead of a "steal")

AKOFL Sat Dec 20, 2008 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 560135)

So this begin true we need to pay close attention just in case we have a off ball foul by the shooting team, so we can rule it a teamcontrol foul or not.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 21, 2008 05:49pm

Read those old Interps!

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 5: At the top of the key, A1 beats B1 off the dribble, reaches the free-throw line, and pulls up for a jump shot. At the apex of the jump and before the ball is released, B2 comes from the side and swats the ball out of A1’s hands. The ball goes behind A1, deflects off A2 and into the backcourt, where A3 is the first to touch it. RULING: A backcourt violation shall be called. Team control had continued for Team A because the try ended before the ball was in flight. (4-12-3a; 4-40-3,4; 9-9-1)

BillyMac Sun Dec 21, 2008 07:51pm

Cerebrum, Cerebellum, Medulla Oblongata, And Old Interps ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 560410)
Read those old Interps!

You are, by far, the "King Of Old Interps".