The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Another T or No T situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50362-another-t-no-t-situation.html)

OHBBREF Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:09pm

partners working together

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 558567)
Think how much more spectacular it would have been if the partner had done this DURING the time-out staredown, instead of waiting for the time-out to end!

This is the best course of action of all stated.

but this could fall under any of the following with regard to issuing a technical foul;
a. Disrespectfully addressing an official.
b. Attempting to influence an official's decision.
e. Objecting to an official's decision by rising from the bench or using gestures.
f. Inciting undesirable crowd reactions.

As for a partner issuing the technical, I can agree with that, -the offical made the call the coach didn't like, If wants to play games let one of the partners get him for being an A$$, The perception is bad,
However since he didn't Whack him he really can not say too much to his partners.

IblewOne Thu Dec 18, 2008 02:31pm

I say no technical. Just because a coach wants to use a timeout to stare-down an officials, in a game that close, is his problem. He is now not using his and his teams’ time wisely.

The official who was the subject of the stare-down should have looked away. Contrary to popular belief, just as the official seemed intimidated the coach may have felt the official was trying to intimidate him as well by staring. As long as the official kept staring at the coach he continued to stare back and if the official thinks about it, in retrospect he was doing the same thing he felt the coach should have received a "T" for.

Remember as officials we have a lot of authority (some say power) when we are on the court and we must convey the proper message. We don’t want coaches or players to feel we are intimidating and by staring them down may convey the wrong message as if we are trying to bait them into doing or saying something.

OHBBREF Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjo (Post 558556)
Coach then calls a full time-out and spends the entire 60 seconds staring at the calling official who is now on the blocks at the far end of the court. He never even looks at his team, but just keeps up the drop dead stare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IblewOne (Post 559442)
As long as the official kept staring at the coach he continued to stare back and if the official thinks about it, in retrospect he was doing the same thing he felt the coach should have received a "T" for.

These are two completely different descriptions of the event. nowhere did it say the Referee was staring the coach down too!

A few years ago I would have whacked this guy just on principle.

Now it would be a result of the call, his initial display plus this display that would determine the result of this encounter.
However I am not going to back down from the guy, I'm not going to blow him a kiss either. I am going to do the things, I am supposed to do durring the time out. But I wouldn't be shy about doing either.
I would hope that my partner(s) handled it so I didn't have to. However that turns out.

Huskerblue Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:29pm

What if the guy stares you down on two TO's in a row that are minutes apart?

icallfouls Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:29pm

I have an assignor that wants the officials to face each other during timeouts for this very reason.

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 559460)
I have an assignor that wants the officials to face each other during timeouts for this very reason.

Oh great. Now I've got to worry about whether the R is going to be staring me down for calls he didn't like? Or that my U is going to start feeling intimidated or insecure because I was staring at him? Don't even get me started on the kiss blowing thing. :eek:

OHBBREF Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskerblue (Post 559459)

Somebody is goiing to Whack him at that point!

Quote:

I would be doing everything in my power to keep from busting out laughing or trying to crack them up most of the time.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:56pm

Quote:

How does that work during 3-person?

OHBBREF Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskerblue (Post 559459)

Somebody needs to have a talk with this guy about acting like an adult and his job of coaching his team.

williebfree Thu Dec 18, 2008 04:51pm

Does a "T" improve the game?

There are many factors that weigh in..... What's the coach's conduct been up to this point? What is his reputation? etc...

icallfouls Thu Dec 18, 2008 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 559470)

Its kind of a 2 against one thing :D

Texas Aggie Thu Dec 18, 2008 07:29pm

A staredown means nothing except for simple minded people who do it. Leave it alone. If he wants to waste his time and look like a fool, that's his problem. I penalize words and gestures when appropriate, not thoughts.

BillyMac Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:32pm

I Didn't Know Alice Was An Official ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 559470)

It must look like the beginning of the "Brady Bunch".

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 19, 2008 03:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 559562)
It must look like the beginning of the "Brady Bunch".

Must be why my U1 tonight was constantly muttering, "Marsh, Marsha, Marsha."

tomegun Fri Dec 19, 2008 08:42am

I think Rocky's approach might be the best one. In my younger days, I would have T'd him up quick, but now I would probably tolerate a little more. If he was staring at me I might be the one to approach him during the timeout. If I was feeling playful, I might have moved to the other end of the court just to see if he would turn his body so his stare would follow me. I would love for something like this to happen at the beginning of a game. In that case, virtually all communication with that coach is over. Approachability is a two-way street and the stare is not appropriate for good communication. I looked that up. :D