The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

The controversy is NOT about his health and well-being. He's not hurt or under duress. Its about securing the bracelet. It must be taped. That the rule. No reason to question it. It like the Mom who wanted to know why her daughter's newly pierced ears couldn't just be taped. its the rule. Earrings out.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 10:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can She Sit On The Bench With Earrings ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Earrings out.
No. She can't play with the earrings in. Let the player, and her Mom, figure out the rest on their own.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 10:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No. She can't play with the earrings in. Let the player, and her Mom, figure out the rest on their own.
Actually, she can play with the earrings in. She just has to take her ears off. I've told some parents, coaches and players just that.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2008, 11:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation Please ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Actually, she can play with the earrings in. She just has to take her ears off. I've told some parents, coaches and players just that.
Each state association may authorize the use of artificial limbs which in its opinion are no more dangerous to players than the corresponding human limb and do not place an opponent at a disadvantage.

Is an ear a limb?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie View Post
I Again do it however you see fit but I personally find your approach to be heavy handed. I will judge each sitch on its own merits and act accordingly.
FWIW (not much), I agree with BBall_Junkie on this. The mom certainly gets a short-leash, and I'm wondering why she's ther and won't put up with any crap, but I'll listen before I decide whether she needs to be told to get back in the stands.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 09:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I think one of the key points to remember for medical alert bracelets is – what is their purpose? Diabetic? Insulin? Asthma? Heart?

Players and coaches know the rules. If coach, and mommy and daddy are present and a problem develops, they should of course KNOW of the medical situation and be able assist/inform the team or medical staff regardless if someone notices the bracelet taped to the body.

The issue is more important when no one knows about the problem and a situation develops.

I concur with bball and Bob though. If asked politely and nicely, I will address same.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Obviously, this is a web forum and although I can get long winded here, I can't type out a legal contract that discloses every little variation or scenario that may develop. If you try to do that with these types of questions, these become long-winded wizzing contests. I was addressing this qquestion from a big-picture and philosophical standpoint. Trying to parse each little way it can work is silly in this type of format. So I stand by my main point. This controversy has nothing to do with the kid's health. He's warming up for gosh sakes. Referee tells him that he needs to tape the bracelet. Mom needs not be involved in that situation. Is she going to argue that the red teeshirt he's wearing under his blue jersey should be allowed because she didn't have time to do the laundry yesterday too?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

If the fan topic comes up in casual pregame converse, I'll usually joke and say the only fans I hear are the good looking moms!
Worked a middle school game with a new official last week, crowd was vocal. Start of 2nd half, I was standing at midcourt waiting for the clock to reset and the defense to break huddle, when a blond mom sitting in the bleacher floor row, 2 ft away, casually asks me "Mr referee, did you tell your partner good job?" I look over and tell her I dont understand what she means. She-"Well if you told him that, you were wrong, because he's awful". Her husband(?) chimes in, several others do too. I just ignore and on with the 2nd half....
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Thats why its so dangerous to converse with the fans. By not defending him, you just threw him under the bus in the crowd's eyes. Now every time he makes a call they don't like, their frustration will increase and there's no telling how tough it will be on the newbie. You need to have his back in that situation, and if you are any kind of partner will try and take the heat for him. He's got enough on his mind already.

Only time I'll joke with a fan during a game is if I hear "good call". I'll acknowledge it with "they're all good calls".
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I understand what you mean.
However, I didnt want to say he was new, or get into a discussion w/fans on defending him (his calls and mechanics were rough and frankly, though new, wasnt doing a good job), so I dont think I threw him under the bus. I usually dont even talk to fans, but the "good job" part confused me enough to ask...

Last edited by archangel; Thu Dec 18, 2008 at 10:20am.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

OK. he was new. We were all there once. Some of us had a great first partner and got us going, and some of us had a guy who let us hang out to dry under the philosophy of what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Once you initiated a conversation with the fans, IMHO you owe it to your teammate (re; Partner) to defend him. At least a "He's doing fine" will let the fans know that he's your partner and you have his back.