The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

New shoes

Thinking of getting new shoes again soon. Will probably go with NB like I planned, but thought about Shox. However, some of you have said that your experience with the shox on the court was not good. Chime in on this, will you?
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I just bought a pair last night. I'll let you know how it goes tonight and this weekend. I think over the three days I have 13 games. I don't know why I triple plus booked myself multiple days in a row (and on a weekend)

I currently wear the NB 888 but I wanted to try a lower cut pair of shoes and couldn't resist the opportunity to get a pretty pair

-Josh

Last edited by jdmara; Fri Dec 12, 2008 at 12:38pm.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Shoes are a very personal choice. Not everyone will be comfortable in the same shoes as someone else. You really should try on a pair before you buy in order to really know if a pair of shoes is going to be comfortable, and even then you can't be sure until you run on the court with them. To give a blanket statement that Shox are bad and shouldn't be worn is just silly and should be taken with a grain of salt.

There is a member of my association who has started his own ref shoe business, and these shoes are super comfortable to me: Official Footwear

The lows come in patent and are really sharp. The mid's won't come in patent until next year, I'm told. But they are very comfortable to me. If you have a wide foot, however, you might not find them as comfortable.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Just got an email from Eastbay about these:

Zoom LeBron VI all black plus free shipping
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 01:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Just got an email from Eastbay about these:

Zoom LeBron VI all black plus free shipping
Yep, I gotta go out and spend $140 so I can be like LeBron!

"Quickness meets power. The Nike Zoom LeBron VI is a versatile basketball shoe for a versatile athlete - LeBron James."

Man, I wonder if I'll be able to dunk?! (of course not during a game or anything, just in all my spare time when I practice)
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Yep, I gotta go out and spend $140 so I can be like LeBron!

"Quickness meets power. The Nike Zoom LeBron VI is a versatile basketball shoe for a versatile athlete - LeBron James."

Man, I wonder if I'll be able to dunk?! (of course not during a game or anything, just in all my spare time when I practice)
Or you can go out and ref in your $50 PayLess shoes and spend $300 on orthotics next year. Your choice.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 01:16pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Or you can go out and ref in your $50 PayLess shoes and spend $300 on orthotics next year. Your choice.
Oh please!

As we've talked on the Forum over and over again, there are a great many factors that determine what shoe is best for each individual based on a persons size, width of feet, flat feet/arches, surface types, number of games, etc, etc.

And for me, paying $140 because Lebron endorses/wears it isn't it. Just my $.02.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Oh please!

As we've talked on the Forum over and over again, there are a great many factors that determine what shoe is best for each individual based on a persons size, width of feet, flat feet/arches, surface types, number of games, etc, etc.

And for me, paying $140 because Lebron endorses/wears it isn't it. Just my $.02.
Good for you. But that particular shoe may be all of those things for someone else.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 01:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Good for you. But that particular shoe may be all of those things for someone else.
I concur - the shoe has to have your upmost attention or your asking for trouble.

It appears to me now the question that is seeming to come up more and more is - do you want a court/referee shoe (designed specifically with us in mind), do you want/need a running shoe (as others have suggested for padding and to take a pounding maybe), or do you want/need a basketball shoe (that does what a basketball player needs it to do i.e, ankle support for quick cuts, etc.). Personal choice with many opinions.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 01:33pm
M.A.S.H.

I've been wearing the Shox all season and love them. I'm thinking about buying a second pair. Which NB are you looking at - 888s?
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Just breaking in my Reebok breezys, patent leather. Damn, I look good.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:53pm
Huck Finn

Grunewar, did you bother to look at where Smitty is from? He has a lot of knowledge on this subject.

Shoes are often debated, but I don't think a lot of people understand what they are buying. Everyone has different needs for their feet. YMMV

Before this season, I would always switch shoes every couple of games, but I wear the Stoudamire IIs or something like that. They have Air Max 360 soles and are the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. That is what is working for me right now and going back to other Nikes or NB shoes isn't feeling good.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I just recently bought Nike Shox Deliver and love them to death. They are, in my opinion, very comfortable. Oh yeah, I bought them online at Finishline.com for $119.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

The thing about Shox in my experience is that not all Shox are created equal. Some have really torn my legs up, but the pair I'm wearing this year I love so much that I bought a second pair in Finish Line last weekend when I saw them on sale for $89 (first time I've ever bought an identical pair of shoes to ref in). Mine this year look roughly like this, but where you see the white is instead black mesh and the heel area where the actual 'shox' are is black. There is a little bit of silver trim here and there. I've gotten a number of compliments from fellow officials and fans, but have never seen them online, only in the store.

Last edited by rockchalk jhawk; Fri Dec 12, 2008 at 04:19pm.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I've been wearing the Shox all season and love them. I'm thinking about buying a second pair. Which NB are you looking at - 888s?