The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 01:20pm
M.A.S.H.

IHSA Officials: Power Rating

The power rating was released again today. I was wondering if anyone was still having problems with the calculation. According to my calculation, I am not receiving any points for the number of varsity games worked. To my understanding, this is the issue they were having at the beginning of the week. Anyone else having problems?

Thanks.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 01:54pm
Official & Member

This just announced...You're not getting credit for any games assigned and purchased from the governor's office. Sorry..I'm bored at work and couldn't resist.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
This just announced...You're not getting credit for any games assigned and purchased from the governor's office. Sorry..I'm bored at work and couldn't resist.
Well, he will be wearing stripes soon enough. You ain't heard the end of this, it will get bigger.

I heard he has agreed to step down....................................if the offer is high enough.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

No, my calculation is correct right now. They had my number off by one number by not giving me a single point. It seems to be corrected.

Now if I were you, I would contact Judy at the office and let her know. It is possible that there is a good explanation.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No, my calculation is correct right now. They had my number off by one number by not giving me a single point. It seems to be corrected.

Now if I were you, I would contact Judy at the office and let her know. It is possible that there is a good explanation.

Peace
On the phone with her right now... I sent you a PM, Jeff.

Last edited by tjones1; Fri Dec 12, 2008 at 02:49pm.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:56pm
M.A.S.H.

Seems to be a couple of things going wrong...

1) Clinic frequency. I attended a L1 over the summer ("last year"). Therefore, I should get 5 points for clinic frequency. According to her hand calculations, I only get 3 points because the Level 2 I attended was two years ago. Now, I am getting 5 points for my clinic level within the last three years.
L-1: 7/12/08
L-2: 6/9/07

2) Number of varsity games worked. Pending I am correct on the above situation (and I'm pretty sure I am) I'm not getting any points in this section. The only two fields I have filled out are 1A/2A boys and girls. I have zeros in 3A/4A boys and girls. This shouldn't matter but she says the computer might just be seeing the zeros.

Time will tell... she is going to check with Dave today.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 05:34pm
M.A.S.H.

I'm pretty sure I've isolated the problem.

My only question now is how many games are they allow to play in the regular season?
By-laws state:
21, no tournaments
19, 1 tournament
18, 2 tournaments
16, 3 tournaments

And no team shall play in more than 5 games in any tournament. Therefore, are they basing the number of varsity games worked off of 31 games?
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 05:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

That does make more sense.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 06:00pm
We don't rent pigs

What exactly do these ratings mean? You seem to be discussing quantity, but I assume quality also enters the equation somehow?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 06:32pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What exactly do these ratings mean? You seem to be discussing quantity, but I assume quality also enters the equation somehow?
This is one of the factors in determining post season assignments.

Alright, just logged back in and it's been fixed.
IHSA officials... you might double check your power rating.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 02:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It is just an objective number that factors in things like games you have worked, ratings from coaches and officials, camp participation and your test score and past playoff assignments. The higher the number does not give you necessarily you more post season games or you will go further. It is just and objective way to identify better officials but the administrator can consider many other things when deciding who works post season or not.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 10:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is just an objective number that factors in things like games you have worked, ratings from coaches and officials, camp participation and your test score and past playoff assignments. The higher the number does not give you necessarily you more post season games or you will go further. It is just and objective way to identify better officials but the administrator can consider many other things when deciding who works post season or not.

Peace
This is one thing I was happy to ignore along with "promotion" and the rest of that nonsense. My coach ratings were always good, but that's the only number I ever saw while licensed down there.

Wisconsin's rating system is slanted too much the other way. Being a "Master" means little here. 16 varsity games scheduled, rules meeting attendance (or watched online depending on sport), 90% on open book Part I and II, meeting all deadlines. I wouldn't hire some Masters (baseball example, where you only need 8 varsity assignments) to umpire a Little League game.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 01:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Therefore, are they basing the number of varsity games worked off of 31 games?
I was incorrect. They are basing it off of 21 games. They've posted a table in the officials center to guide you through different sports.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 04:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
This is one thing I was happy to ignore along with "promotion" and the rest of that nonsense. My coach ratings were always good, but that's the only number I ever saw while licensed down there.

Wisconsin's rating system is slanted too much the other way. Being a "Master" means little here. 16 varsity games scheduled, rules meeting attendance (or watched online depending on sport), 90% on open book Part I and II, meeting all deadlines. I wouldn't hire some Masters (baseball example, where you only need 8 varsity assignments) to umpire a Little League game.
Being a Certified official does not guarantee you get games or even varsity games. It is just the highest ranking of our officials and only a small percentage get to work post season games. It is just a way to show some proficiency to being able to officiate. It is not full proof by any means and I do not think it is used that way. That is why we have ratings for number of varsity games, camps you attend on a yearly basis and your Top 15 and coaches/officials ratings.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Mine was right... it wasn't high, but it was right.