The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Admin of Tech

I was doing a Rec league game (first mistake) the other night that plays by NFHS Rules. We had called a Technical foul and were administering the free throws. Both teams were behind the free-throw line extended and behind the free throw line, but I told them that high school rules were that they needed to be at the division line. They argued and said that wasn't a high school rule. I told them it was and they needed to slide back, however upon looking in the rules book I was unable to find anything more than rule 8-5 that says.....

"Any player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space must be behind the free-throw line extended and behind the three-point line."

So were they correct or did I just not find the right rule in the book?
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

They were correct.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 10:54am
#thereferee99

Yup. They be right. Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I was doing a Rec league game (first mistake) the other night that plays by NFHS Rules. We had called a Technical foul and were administering the free throws. Both teams were behind the free-throw line extended and behind the free throw line, but I told them that high school rules were that they needed to be at the division line. They argued and said that wasn't a high school rule. I told them it was and they needed to slide back, however upon looking in the rules book I was unable to find anything more than rule 8-5 that says.....

"Any player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space must be behind the free-throw line extended and behind the three-point line."

So were they correct or did I just not find the right rule in the book?
I assume you meant "behind the three-point line."
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 02:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do We HAVE To Call Mythbusters ??? Seriously ...

This is the second time this week that I've seen a thread about technical foul shots and the division line. Is this important enough to add to the Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules list? I hear a lot of yelling from coaches, and fans about, "He slapped the backboard, that's goaltending", or, "Over the back", or, "He was in the paint almost five seconds during the throwin". I have never heard anyone yell, "Hey, Mr. BillyMac, don't they all have to stand at the "halfcourt" line?".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Did you admit you kicked it to them?