The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dribble fumble dribble? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50281-dribble-fumble-dribble.html)

Clark Kent Thu Dec 11, 2008 02:37am

Dribble fumble dribble?

Question number 93 on Part II says the following...

"It is a violation if A1 dribbles, fumbles and then dribbles again"

This same question was #93 on the 2004-2005 part I test (2004-2005 Boys' Basketball Rules Examination - Part I) and the answer was false, however from what I can find in the rule book it states that "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended unless it is after he/she has lost control because of....A pass or fumble which has been touched, or been touched by another player"

That seems to me to say that the only way it isn't a double dribble is if another player (even a teammate is oK) touches it and thus making the statement true.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

just another ref Thu Dec 11, 2008 02:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 557234)

That seems to me to say that the only way it isn't a double dribble is if another player (even a teammate is oK) touches it and thus making the statement true.

You got it.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 11, 2008 04:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 557234)
Question number 93 on Part II says the following...

This same question was #93 on the 2004-2005 part I test (2004-2005 Boys' Basketball Rules Examination - Part I) and the answer was false, however from what I can find in the rule book it states that "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended unless it is after he/she has lost control because of....A pass or fumble which has been touched, or been touched by another player"

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Yeah. The part in red is an error.

Clark Kent Thu Dec 11, 2008 09:26am

Good I am glad you agree, because I can't see it being false, if A1 ends his dribble.

ranjo Thu Dec 11, 2008 09:53am

I believe the adage I learned is that "you can fumble, dribble, fumble, but you can't dribble, fumble, dribble".

ranjo Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjo (Post 557302)
I believe the adage I learned is that "you can fumble, dribble, fumble, but you can't dribble, fumble, dribble".

Oh No! I just realized that when Padgett wakes up on the west coast and sees this post, he is going to have a field day.

jdmara Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjo (Post 557312)
Oh No! I just realized that when Padgett wakes up on the west coast and sees this post, he is going to have a field day.

It's too late now. Perhaps he has taken his meds today.

-Josh

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:14am

It's not even 7:30 out there yet. I doubt if he's even found his meds.

jdmara Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 557315)
It's not even 7:30 out there yet. I doubt if he's even found his meds.

I'm sure he got up a little bit ago though to take his hourly potty break. Maybe he lined 'em up before bed last night or during one of his breaks *shrug*

-Josh

mbyron Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjo (Post 557302)

The way I play, it's "fumble, fumble, fumble." :cool:

IREFU2 Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 557343)

I thought only babies dribbled...time for a bib!!!!!

Scrapper1 Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 557343)

Which is why I ref!

mbyron Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 557349)
Which is why I ref!

You ref because I'm bad at basketball? :D

roadking Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:34am

I think we've all seen the fumble during the dribble, in this case the player recovers the dribble without stopping his dribble. clear as mud?

just another ref Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 557366)
I think we've all seen the fumble during the dribble, in this case the player recovers the dribble without stopping his dribble. clear as mud?

By definition, there can be no fumble during a dribble.