The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Question 3-second rule -> Allowance

RULE 9-SECTION 7 THREE SECONDS
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her
free-throw lane between the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt.
ART. 2 . . . The three-second restriction applies to a player who has only one foot touching the lane boundary. The line is part of the lane. All lines designating the free-throw lane, but not lane-space marks and neutral-zone marks, are part of the lane.
ART. 3 . . . Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the
restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to
try for goal.
PENALTY: (Section 7) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is
awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds
spot nearest the violation.

[Rationale – The three-second rule was developed to force offensive players to move without the ball and reduce congestion within the lane area.]

(Dribbling) A1 is at the top of the key and drives to the lane. A1 is in the lane for 3/4 of a second, going toward the basket, when Lead official whistles the play dead because A4 was in the lane for three seconds.

Is this correct?

Does the allowance “ made for a player who… moves immediately to try for a goal” apply only to the player [A1] , or does the allowance apply to the 3-second count rule on any teammate of A1 [A4 et al] ?

Although I rarely use the 3-second rule, my stance has been to suspend any count if any player, with the ball and in the lane, is making a move to the basket.

I find no support, pro or con, anywhere.

Help !
…And Thanks!
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I think the allowance only applies to that player.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Advantageous position

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
my stance has been to suspend any count if any player, with the ball and in the lane, is making a move to the basket.
I tend to agree with you - unless the other offensive player in the lane has an advantageous position (such as a rebounding position with the defense in a zone, or that player sets a screen that gives the player with the ball and advantage) as a result of being in the lane for 3 or more seconds when the player goes to the hoop.
Otherwise we have nothing until the ball leaves the lane or the offensive player ceases action to the hoop.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Around here the expectation is as you suggest: suspend the count if any player is going to the basket.

Learned that the loud way once as a rookie...
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think the allowance only applies to that player.

Agreed..........
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:03am
Esteemed Participant

Mick, if a player is making a drive to the basket, I have a very, very hard time justifying calling 3 seconds on a different player. However, if the defender leaves A4 to go over and stop the drive and A1 passes to A4 - ring him up. That's the kind of thing the rule and allowance is trying to prevent.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Mick, if a player is making a drive to the basket, I have a very, very hard time justifying calling 3 seconds on a different player. However, if the defender leaves A4 to go over and stop the drive and A1 passes to A4 - ring him up. That's the kind of thing the rule and allowance is trying to prevent.
Absolutely: I suspend the count if a player is driving to the basket, but if he stops or passes, violation.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Absolutely: I suspend the count if a player is driving to the basket, but if he stops or passes, violation.
When A4, in a threatening position, is in the lane for 3 when A1 is driving such that B4 must make a decision to stay on A4 or help on A1, I call the three. A4 gained an advantage by remaining in the lane..sucking the defense away from the drive. If A4 is in a spot that doesn't put B in such a position, no call.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
When A4, in a threatening position, is in the lane for 3 when A1 is driving such that B4 must make a decision to stay on A4 or help on A1, I call the three. A4 gained an advantage by remaining in the lane..sucking the defense away from the drive. If A4 is in a spot that doesn't put B in such a position, no call.
Not saying you're wrong to do it, just that I can't call that around here.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 06:23pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here, but isn't this, in essence, exactly the same as blowing the whistle for the 3-second violation as a 3-pt. try is being released? (say, for example, that the defender has to chose between sticking with the A player in the lane or going out to run at/contest the 3-pt. try)

In my mind it is, and I won't make that call.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here, but isn't this, in essence, exactly the same as blowing the whistle for the 3-second violation as a 3-pt. try is being released? (say, for example, that the defender has to chose between sticking with the A player in the lane or going out to run at/contest the 3-pt. try)

In my mind it is, and I won't make that call.
No....that defender has no chance to get to an 'in-progress' three pointer if they're still defending A5 when A5 has been there at 3 seconds.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Spirit Of The Rule ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Sounds like Intent and Purpose to me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 10:56pm.