The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Late to the party, but here's my $0.02

Quote:
Player A1 grabs ball and slams it about 10 feet in air!
I'm thinking since you used "slams" plus an apostrophe, it merited a T

Quote:
Frustration? or pissed about no foul call?..not sure.
No matter

Quote:
I almost T but think to myself, do I want to possibly end game on T!
Since when do we get to write the script?

Quote:
Both teams are not going to state(last year by the way)
Absolutely not your concern.

Quote:
I go over to him tell him not to do that again.
Do you mean "Kid...you got away with one", or "If you do that again in another game in the same situation, I won't call it again, so please don't to that"

Quote:
I talked to a bunch a fellow officials some say Automatic T, some say good no call! What say you?
I say T, but more importantly, what did your Supervisor say?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Pizanno, fyi - that's exclamation point (!), not apostrophe (')

Quote:
I go over to him tell him not to do that again.

T him, then talk to him so he doesn't commit a second T and get tossed. First T you couldn't warn him before it happened because you didn't know he would be that stupid to do that! (proper use of exclamation point)
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Pizanno, fyi - that's exclamation point (!), not apostrophe (')

Thanks, Travelin. I guess I missed the point, or the period!

Last edited by pizanno; Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 02:00pm.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Touche Pizanno! Good to meet you. I can see you're a good sport.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

not Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Dude, I think you're jumping when it's not necessary. What he's saying is that some officials will take care of this without a T, others will go with the T. There is a certain element of personal comfort level involved here, similar to how you deal with coaches.
No intention of talking down to or jumping on anyone.
I just spent an evening with two partners who were more worried about what was best for them and not the game. That as you can imagine
leads to some things that are not best for the game. So I may have over reacted but the terminology just struck me wrong.

I do not see much leeway for not calling a T here, this player did not have the ball when the play was blown dead, the player then picked up the ball and instead of handing it to an official, slammed the ball to the floor in such a manner that it went 10' in the air?

I can think of a couple of reasons the player might get whacked here, no matter who the player was upset with.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 03:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

While I agree that the fact the player retrieved the ball prior to "slamming" it leads one to most likely call the T here; I still disagree that 10' is all that high. It doesn't take much effort at all to bounce it that high.

If this player already had the ball when the whistle was blown, then bounced it 10 feet, I don't think the T is so automatic.

Next question: did he catch it?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I still disagree that 10' is all that high. It doesn't take much effort at all to bounce it that high.
YU.P.
Merely dropping it from 6' bounces it over 4'1".
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While I agree that the fact the player retrieved the ball prior to "slamming" it leads one to most likely call the T here; I still disagree that 10' is all that high.
I do not really care about the height either - in this particular case it is the fact that got or retrieved the ball and did not give the ball to an official he slammed it that creates the conduct issue where he is going to get whacked.

Quote:
Next question: did he catch it?
Interesting point - But I doubt it would change my mind about whacking him because it was such an overt act.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 04:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

What if he was walking to his bench when the ball was bouncing right in front of him, then he grabs it and "bounces" it.

I think the height does matter. If the original post had a player grabbing it and "bouncing it" rather than using the charged term "slam," no one would be crying for a T. So, what's the height threshold for a slam verses a bounce? If the OP had the player throwing it down and it only bounces 5 feet, is that a T?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

To "T", Or Not To "T", That Is The Question ???

Same situation, but this time the player in question, instantly realizes that his intentions may have been mistaken, and that his action may have been impulsive, and unsporting, sprints to retrieve the ball, sprints back to the nearest official, hands the official the ball, and says, "Sorry Mr. BillyMac", all before a whistle is blown, or not blown, for a technical foul. Still a technical foul?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
No intention of talking down to or jumping on anyone.
I just spent an evening with two partners who were more worried about what was best for them and not the game. That as you can imagine
leads to some things that are not best for the game. So I may have over reacted but the terminology just struck me wrong.
Again, you are 100% correct. You will see a lot of those guys fall by the wayside at some point. Not all, but most. Always fun to work with guys who will try and do anything to help themselves as an official instead of serving the game.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same situation, but this time the player in question, instantly realizes that his intentions may have been mistaken, and that his action may have been impulsive, and unsporting, sprints to retrieve the ball, sprints back to the nearest official, hands the official the ball, and says, "Sorry Mr. BillyMac", all before a whistle is blown, or not blown, for a technical foul. Still a technical foul?
Whack for callin' me BillyMac.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mr. mick Would Have Just Earned Him A Simple Techncial ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Whack for calling me BillyMac.
And I ejected a coach who insulted me by calling me mick. I had no idea that he used to coach on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and carried some bitter memories with him. I even went "off book signals" and gave him the old, "You're Outta Here" signal. Felt good. Real good.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)