The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 08:36pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Oh Those Pesky Uniform Violations………

First game of the yr – JVG, two medium size schools.

Partner and I had a good pregame, watch teams warm-up, everything is going by the book - captains meeting, book/table, meet and greet coaches, all looks good.

Teams report to their benches and takeoff warm-up tops to start the game. Oh no! Visitors in white, Home in black! Obviously this had to be discussed prior to the game and was coordinated. Coaches, can we talk to you in front of table please?

You know the rules? Yes. What gives? V has a game tomorrow morning and is staying local tonight and has no accommodations to wash their uniforms tonight as they will be wearing their away uniforms tomorrow morning. H has been nice enough to accommodate their situation…….

T up H for being accommodating and not wearing proper uniforms?

Talked it over with the V officials in the locker room before they hit the floor and they gave me their thoughts. What would you have done?

I sent a note to my assignor to see what he says at sub-V level.

PS – Easy game (V won by 25). Great partner. No other issues. Let the games begin......
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

The regulation to wear white is only a requirement at the VARSITY level.

Your situation didn't break any NFHS rule.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I dont care what the rules SAY. The intent of the rule is to prevent abuse of the uniform regs. This wasn't abuse. It was an extraordinary situation that both schools agreed to before I ever walked in the gym. Despite my reputation as Mr. T, I got nothin.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity game

Actually had this happen in a boys varsity game (not mine but heard about it afterwards). Home team is under contract to wear a certain company's uniforms. This company was about to ship the white uni's when the warehouse and the contents burnt to the ground. Their visitor's uniforms shipped so they were able to wear black. They made arrangements with the other team to swap colors prior to the game date but did not inform the state office of the situation to get a waiver.

Referees at the game didn't call T's as this would have penalized the visiting coach for complying with the home team's request. The R reported the situation to the state office and asked for a recomendation. He also told the home coach to steal the JV uniforms until the V's came in.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 10:12pm
This IS My Social Life

??? Varsity Only ???

NevadaRef,
Could you please clarify what you mean by, "The regulation to wear white is only a requirement at the VARSITY level"?
I'm trying to find reference to that but am running into a problem finding it.
Is that a state modification to the Fed rules where you work, or am I missing something here?
(by the way, seems to me that, for sub-level, all reactions previous to this post seemed wise under the circumstances)
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

In Alabama, they clarified this Home/white ruling to be for Varsity only again this year. It was to be for JV this year but due to current economic conditions, not all teams were able to comply.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure that Nevada is right. Wasn't that covered in the rules interpretation meetings.. or in our case the on-line video?
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 01:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think the V only thing is by state interpretation. We were told last year to report JV teams not in compliance, but not to penalize. I haven't heard anything on direction for this year.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 01:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Referees at the game didn't call T's as this would have penalized the visiting coach for complying with the home team's request.
Am I missing something? How does calling a T on the home team penalize the visiting team?
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Couldn't T only the home team - Visitors were also non-compliant by wearing white when they are required to wear their away colors.

Last edited by derwil; Sat Dec 06, 2008 at 09:08am.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
NevadaRef,
Could you please clarify what you mean by, "The regulation to wear white is only a requirement at the VARSITY level"?
I'm trying to find reference to that but am running into a problem finding it.
Is that a state modification to the Fed rules where you work, or am I missing something here?
(by the way, seems to me that, for sub-level, all reactions previous to this post seemed wise under the circumstances)
It is not a state adoption. It is an actual NFHS rule.
The NFHS stated this when it first wrote the rule back in 2004-05. Here is what appeared on page 72 of the rules book that year:

COMMENTS ON THE 2004-05 RULES REVISIONS

HOME TEAM MUST WEAR WHITE IN 2007-08 (3-4-6 Note): Beginning in 2007-08, the home team shall wear white jerseys and the visiting team dark jerseys. More teams are opting for light-colored home jerseys that cause confusion with opponents' dark jerseys. This change ensures similar colors won't be worn by opponents. The new rule only affects varsity uniforms; lower level programs may still continue to wear "light-colored" uniforms as home jerseys.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 03:46am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The regulation to wear white is only a requirement at the VARSITY level.

Your situation didn't break any NFHS rule.
Read it all again and ponder further, perhaps.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 07:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Couldn't only Y the home team - Visitors were also non-compliant by wearing white when they are required to wear their away colors.
Guess you're right. Double foul. One team foul each to start the game, open the game with a jump ball (POI). Seems like the right way to go, but not a big deal either way.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It is not a state adoption. It is an actual NFHS rule.
The NFHS stated this when it first wrote the rule back in 2004-05. Here is what appeared on page 72 of the rules book that year:

COMMENTS ON THE 2004-05 RULES REVISIONS

HOME TEAM MUST WEAR WHITE IN 2007-08 (3-4-6 Note): Beginning in 2007-08, the home team shall wear white jerseys and the visiting team dark jerseys. More teams are opting for light-colored home jerseys that cause confusion with opponents' dark jerseys. This change ensures similar colors won't be worn by opponents. The new rule only affects varsity uniforms; lower level programs may still continue to wear "light-colored" uniforms as home jerseys.
From the OP: "Oh no! Visitors in white, Home in black!" While Nevada is correct in the NFHS requirement for Varsity-only white home uniform wear, if you choose to be an OOO and in strict compliance with the rule, then you must penalize a home JV team for wearing "black" not "light-colored" uniforms. I'm glad the officials in the OP used common sense and didn't enforce this rule.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 11:05pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
From the OP: "Oh no! Visitors in white, Home in black!" While Nevada is correct in the NFHS requirement for Varsity-only white home uniform wear, if you choose to be an OOO and in strict compliance with the rule, then you must penalize a home JV team for wearing "black" not "light-colored" uniforms. I'm glad the officials in the OP used common sense and didn't enforce this rule.
So, what your saying is that this isn't a black and white situation.