The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
He may have been correct, but he wasn't right.
That is the entire reason I said "Technically".
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 08:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is the entire reason I said "Technically".
Obviously. It's amazing how I go hard of hearing at those moments, too.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
7th grade girls last night, ready for the opening tip. Gave final instructions, blow my whistle, step into the circle, toss the ball up.......and see the ball get slapped right back at my face. I instinctively react by bending straight over so that it misses my face only to have the ball hit my rear end, bounce off a surprised player's hands who is behind me and back onto my back (I am doing a nice impression of a coffee table at this point), where it comes to rest as the players stop doing anything because they don't know if it is legal to grab the ball off the official's back............then my partner blows his whistle because he is laughing so hard. Oh yeah, the OIC is sitting behind the scorer's table to watch the action and us handle the game and getting a real tickle out of the predicament.

I end up re-tossing the jump between the original two while one of the coaches continued arguing with my partner that there shouldn't have been a whistle on a live ball - the official is simply part of the floor (I tried to get that low, really). Of course, no one ever had control so that was irrelevant, but then that was just the first of several "discussions" he started that night.

"Ding......want to get away?"

Thanks for sharing, Fritz, I needed a good laugh today.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

And here's the rest of the story, as they say........

The reason the OIC was there was because one of the teams had a rep from games earlier in the season of being overly physical, bad language toward other players, and other general forms of intimidation (yeah I know, in a 7th grade girls game?!?!?). So he's there to assist my partner and me in case the coaches of that team get out of hand, or someone tries something that we miss on the court.

But after my jump to start the game, we kind of felt there wasn't any better way to get everyone relaxed and just play the game! Wasn't planned, but we didn't have any problems from the team at all (you know how rumors get started).

So put that in your bag of tricks I guess; want to diffuse a tense situation? find a way to get on the blooper reel!
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

I would've given that idiot coach a VERY short leash for being an @$$. Hasn't he ever heard of the inadvertant whistle rule? Since there was never a resolution to the jump ball....retoss. ANd then toss HIM.

See, I got my nickname "Mr. T" for a reason (plus my first name starts with T)