The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump Ball - "Need to Get Away?" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50152-jump-ball-need-get-away.html)

Fritz Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:12pm

Jump Ball - "Need to Get Away?"

7th grade girls last night, ready for the opening tip. Gave final instructions, blow my whistle, step into the circle, toss the ball up.......and see the ball get slapped right back at my face. I instinctively react by bending straight over so that it misses my face only to have the ball hit my rear end, bounce off a surprised player's hands who is behind me and back onto my back (I am doing a nice impression of a coffee table at this point), where it comes to rest as the players stop doing anything because they don't know if it is legal to grab the ball off the official's back............then my partner blows his whistle because he is laughing so hard. Oh yeah, the OIC is sitting behind the scorer's table to watch the action and us handle the game and getting a real tickle out of the predicament.

I end up re-tossing the jump between the original two while one of the coaches continued arguing with my partner that there shouldn't have been a whistle on a live ball - the official is simply part of the floor (I tried to get that low, really). Of course, no one ever had control so that was irrelevant, but then that was just the first of several "discussions" he started that night.

"Ding......want to get away?"

zm1283 Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:16pm

One thing I've learned in my relatively short time refereeing basketball: If you think you've seen everything, just go watch a junior high girl's game.

jdmara Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 555119)
7th grade girls last night, ready for the opening tip. Gave final instructions, blow my whistle, step into the circle, toss the ball up.......and see the ball get slapped right back at my face. I instinctively react by bending straight over so that it misses my face only to have the ball hit my rear end, bounce off a surprised player's hands who is behind me and back onto my back (I am doing a nice impression of a coffee table at this point), where it comes to rest as the players stop doing anything because they don't know if it is legal to grab the ball off the official's back............then my partner blows his whistle because he is laughing so hard. Oh yeah, the OIC is sitting behind the scorer's table to watch the action and us handle the game and getting a real tickle out of the predicament.

I end up re-tossing the jump between the original two while one of the coaches continued arguing with my partner that there shouldn't have been a whistle on a live ball - the official is simply part of the floor (I tried to get that low, really). Of course, no one ever had control so that was irrelevant, but then that was just the first of several "discussions" he started that night.

Wish that was on tape ;) Bet it was quite funny. Well the coach should have nothing to say, indventant whistle...Go to the arrow is nobody have control. Wait, there is no arrow from the sounds of it. Re-jump ;)

-Josh

AKOFL Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:21pm

got to love girls bball. Guys would have taken that oppurtunity to get in a free shot on the man in stripes. Where did this happen? I'm laughing on the inside and outside

mick Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:29pm

Quote:

That's funny, Fritz ! :)

Was your next toss higher?

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:44pm

Great story, Fritz! :)

Adam Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 555121)
One thing I've learned in my relatively short time refereeing basketball: If you think you've seen everything, just go watch a junior high girl's game.

True.

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 555135)
True.

Perhaps it's only an urban legend, but I've heard that at the Big Sky camp the officials work Jr. High ball.

Adam Wed Dec 03, 2008 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 555136)
Perhaps it's only an urban legend, but I've heard that at the Big Sky camp the officials work Jr. High ball.

That's because they've already graduated from the, wait for it....... SEC.

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 03, 2008 06:04pm

Great story.

Good call on re-jumping, too.

grunewar Wed Dec 03, 2008 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 555121)

Great story Fritz! Incidentally, my first game of the season is Friday night.......yep, JV Girls. I'll be on the lookout! ;)

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 03, 2008 06:08pm

Quote:

the ball hit my rear end, bounce off a surprised player's hands who is behind me and back onto my back (I am doing a nice impression of a coffee table at this point), where it comes to rest .

I would have given you a T for allowing the game to become an actionless contest. :p

Camron Rust Wed Dec 03, 2008 06:10pm

Quote:

the game and getting a real tickle out of the predicament.

...one of the coaches continued arguing with my partner that there shouldn't have been a whistle on a live ball - the official is simply part of the floor (I tried to get that low, really).

Technically, the coach was correct.

Rich Wed Dec 03, 2008 06:29pm

[QUOTE=Camron Rust;555146]
Quote:

the game and getting a real tickle out of the predicament.

...one of the coaches continued arguing with my partner that there shouldn't have been a whistle on a live ball - the official is simply part of the floor (I tried to get that low, really). [\quote]

Technically, who really cares? :D

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 03, 2008 06:48pm

[QUOTE=Camron Rust;555146]
Quote:

He may have been correct, but he wasn't right. ;)