The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches Box Question

Worked my first ever game last night - Girls JV - noticed when I got there that the coaches boxes were not marked. We had the varsity head coach put tape down. No problem.

In reading the rulebook about the box it says it is not on the playing court. Some gyms do not have enough room in front of the bench to have a box without the box being on the court. I assume those courts have a box on the court??
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Worked my first ever game last night - Girls JV - noticed when I got there that the coaches boxes were not marked. We had the varsity head coach put tape down. No problem.

In reading the rulebook about the box it says it is not on the playing court. Some gyms do not have enough room in front of the bench to have a box without the box being on the court. I assume those courts have a box on the court??
I was in a gym the other night that had their box marked on the court. Doesn't mean the coach has the right to come out on the court, just makes it more visible.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Coach does not get to walk on the court during play. There is room, unless the bench players' feet are right up against the line.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Coach does not get to walk on the court during play. There is room, unless the bench players' feet are right up against the line.
That's my question. In the situation where the bench is right up against the line a)is the box on the court and b)if so I assume they're allowed to be in the box as long as they're not interfering with play.

Correct?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's my question. In the situation where the bench is right up against the line a)is the box on the court and b)if so I assume they're allowed to be in the box as long as they're not interfering with play.

Correct?
My opinion; no box. If there's not room for a legal box, there's no box.

That said, if you're working a gym that small; it's likely a much lower level game (such as YMCA) and all bets are off.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Correct?
Incorrect. Coaches are never allowed on the court. If there is no room outside the boundary line, then there is no coaching box.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Worked my first ever game last night - Girls JV - noticed when I got there that the coaches boxes were not marked. We had the varsity head coach put tape down.

Congrats on your first game! Kudos for noticing the coaches box was not properly marked and double kudos for having it marked.

I agree with the other statements here...if there's no room for the coach to roam outside of the OOB line, then the coaching box does not exist. If the sidelines are that tight, then it becomes a safety issue for the players and officials moving up and down the court.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Congrats...one question though: Your first game you've officiated at any level was a JV game? I figured most people started with junior high games most of the time.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Congrats...one question though: Your first game you've officiated at any level was a JV game? I figured most people started with junior high games most of the time.
My first real contest was a girls JV game. I had no MS or rec experience prior to that. My only previous experience blowing a whistle was when I had officiated intramurals while in college.

I think this is more common than you think.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 09:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut "Special" Mechanics ...

Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)